Last week we had the opportunity to attend the Winter "Wax Museum" put on by Carson's class. This was a huge project and lots of work for these kids. These kids had to research an influential person in U.S. history. They had to research and write a biography, make a timeline of the person's life, write and memorize a monologue, type everything and put in on a display board, find a costume and props for that person, and then portray that person at the wax museum. They had to do all this at school, thereby making sure that all the work was done by the student him/herself!
Since all this work was done at school, I didn't really know what to expect from these kids. I was just blown away by all the hard work they had put in and how wonderful they all did. I couldn't believe 4th graders did this!
During the wax museum night, all the kids had stations set up either in the classroom, computer lab or hallway. They were posed in position until you said their famous person in history's name and then they went into the monologue. In the monologue, they were instructed by their teacher to write in actual quotes that their famous person said. We were able to hear from the likes of people such as Thomas Jefferson, Benjamin Franklin, Marilyn Monroe, Harriet Tubman, Babe Ruth, Lou Gehrig, Bill Gates, Henry Ford, Wyatt Earp and so on and so forth.
Carson chose to portray Abraham Lincoln. Very appropriate choice, don't ya think, due to the fact he's been obsessed with presidents throughout the years.
Here he is:

Here's a better look at his display board:
He's posed, ready for someone to shout out, "Abraham Lincoln".Carson with the girls:

Carson and 2 of his buddies---Lou Gehrig and Babe Ruth
Oh, and here's something funny. When we were driving to the wax museum, I was telling Carson that he should speak clearly and in a loud voice so people could hear. He said, "Oh don't worry, Mom. I was the only one in the class who Mrs. V told to actually lower their voice. I was so loud that she actually had to move me from my station in the classroom to a new spot in the computer lab." Yep. That's my boy. And was he ever loud. You could totally hear his monologue throughout the whole computer lab area, over tons of other kids voices. He comes from a long line of loud people--all you Earls should be so proud.
Carson also won an award for "Best Actor". There were several awards for the evening. Apparently there were 3 Best Costume awards, 3 Best Set Design awards, 4 Best Actor awards and 4 Best Actress awards. I think his extremely loud voice is what helped him earn that award! :)
We were so proud of him! He worked so hard and it was a huge accomplishment.
Here's his monologue so you can see for yourself:
8 comments:
I think the whole thing is phenomenal. I mean, teachers going above and beyond to enrich student learning? Oh wait, did I just say that out loud?
Great job Carson. So impressive!
Oh my goodness that is so awesome! I loved his fervor in his monologue when quoting Lincoln...I see some more speeches in his future!!
Good Job carson!!
p.s. Q loved the video as well, we had to watch it three times so she could see her Carson.
That made me so happy. Carson did such a good job, and, yes, his enthusiasm was amazing.
Great post Linds!! That was so fun to see the boys present their hard work to us. They all did such a super job. I think its funny in the picture that you posted of the 3 boys together, they each KINDA look like their person. Ya know, Jacob really is a little pudgy, just like Babe Ruth was :)
I think this is the coolest thing ever! So awesome! Good job Carson!
He did an amazing job on his project! And his monologue was fantastic!!
I love the idea of the wax museum so much. What a fun way to teach kids history and help them appreciate those who helped shape our country, culture, etc. I love it!
Carson looks fantastic. Corbin and I did something similar in NOVA called "Night of the Notables." He was Queen Elizabeth and I was Theodore Roosevelt.
What a cool project! Great job Carson!
Post a Comment