While snuggling in my bed, sick from a fever and strep throat {I know, good times.} I watched this week's episode of Grey's Anatomy. There was a scene in it that had me literally laughing out loud.
It went something like this:
Sick patient: "And how about you, with the sourpuss face? What do you think?"
Cristina Yang: "I'm not a sourpuss. This is just my face."
Other doctor: "It's true. It's just her face."
Oh. My. Goodness. I thought this was hilarious. You see, I hate to admit this, but yes, on more occasions than I'd like to admit, I've been accused of the very same thing. People are always thinking I'm mad or upset, based on them looking at my face. But in reality, I'm not upset at all, it's my resting face.
Crazy, huh. I guess my normal resting face is pretty much a stinkface. I don't mean to give people stinkface. Maybe it has something to do with Asian faces. After all, Cristina Yang is Asian too. Maybe Asian eyes don't lend themselves to being the friendliest out there. Since Asian eyes are already slanted, maybe any sort of brow furrowing even in concentration or something, makes an Asian girl like me look really ticked off.
Those who are close to me...you know what I'm talking about. It's no exaggeration. This face of mine even scares young babies. I remember a time several years back when I was holding a friends' baby at church and he was totally crying. I was like, "I don't know why your baby is so upset and doesn't like me." Then another lady from church piped in and said, "Oh, maybe it's your oriental eyes!" Not even kidding folks. Really happened.
Sometimes I'll get people coming up to me and saying, "You look sad today." or "You look so upset. What happened." Yeah, not sad. Not upset. My mind wandered onto who-knows-what and can't remember, but completely fine and not angry.
In closing....I guess we all have our stuff we must overcome. Apparently walking around with my ginormously sized head that always has a stinkface is my cross to bear.
It's.
Just.
My.
Face.
Can't be helped! :)
12 comments:
Awesome. The other day I'm all complaining to my sister that I'm afraid people don't understand me and judge me and crap...and she's all..."Shayla, you keep talking about being depressed, but all other people see is you smiling and being nice. If you want them to believe you, you need to go to church in your dirty clothes, not showered and mumbling to yourself...then they'll get you." Nice. Maybe we should trade faces. ;)
Lindsay I think you have one of the cutest face's ever! Your face is great! Plus I think it's weird when people ask out of nowhere if something is wrong or if you're mad. It's like - hey if I wanted you to know I'd tell you! I know most of the time people mean well, but it can be kind of annoying sometimes :) I love Grey's just for lines like that too. Good dialogue.
That's awesome, Shayla! Yes, maybe we should! :)
Ahh, the "oriental eyes" comment...will live forever in my memory!
Once again, I'm proud to call you my Yang ;)
And for the record, no you don't have a perma-stink face!
You are too funny! I never thought you had sourpuss face, but now that you mention it....just kidding. Seriously though, you had me laughing!
That was hi-larious! You have a gorgeous face. Love you, love the face :)
You are so funny! Never thought of you of you as having an angry or upset face, you are to cute for that thought to cross my mind.
The oriental eyes comment had me laughing. Some times people say some crazy stuff!
This post made me laugh so hard. Oh you and your "oriental eyes".
:)
Ha ha ha! I forgot out that story.
Oh man I'm seriously cracking up. I even laughed out loud and Darin looked at me weird! Don't you just love it when people ask you if you are tired? I love in the movie stepmom when she says "thats just a polite way of telling someone they look like crap"!
Best post ever......I laughed out loud at the same line too!
ok I am dying to know who at church said that!
Post a Comment