08 April, 2009

Good Reads

I've actually managed to finish a few books lately so I thought I'd share them with you.

A Girl Named Zippy by Haven Kimmel---This is a memoir and lots of fun. It was kind of a refreshing change for me because the memoirs that I have read before are a lot of times REALLY depressing. A Girl Named Zippy made me feel like we all have things and experiences in our lives that we could write about and that we could all write memoirs. You'll see what I mean if you read the book. Interested?---click HERE.

The Book Thief by Markus Zusak---This story is narrated by Death, and is about a girl growing up in Nazi Germany during World War II. I really enjoyed it. To learn more about the plot, click HERE.

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins---This book is the first book in a trilogy. I was actually a little skeptical about this book because it just didn't sound like something I'd be interested in. I'm so glad I decided to read it though because I loved it! It is very suspenseful so I just couldn't put it down. Want to learn more?--click HERE.

Currently reading: The Goose Girl by Shannon Hale

If you are looking for a book to read, go check one of these out!

I'm going to need some more books soon though. Please give me some recommendations!!! What are some of your favorites?

15 comments:

Janna G said...

I am always looking for good books to read, I will definitely look into these

tharker said...

I've been wanting to read A Girl Named Zippy. I've heard great stuff about it.

I think you'll really enjoy The Goose Girl. It is my favorite of the Shannon Hale books that I've read.

melanie said...

Are you on goodreads.com? I love that site and the best books I've read in the last year have come from friends reviews. It lets you keep track of books on a 'to-read' list which is great for me since I usually forget the ones I really want to read. Like, A Girl Names Zippy. Thanks, it's going on the list!

Two bunheads said...

Wow, you make me jealous that you have finished so many books. I am always reading 5 books at a time and getting no where. I was into Jodi Piccoult, specifically "A change of Heart". Also really good that I have read this year is "Eat, Pray, Love" by...I don't remember, but very good read.

hatch said...

I really liked These Is My Words, by Nancy Turner. I am always looking for a good read. Thanks.

polka dots said...

Lindsay-

the poisonwood bible is my most favorite as of late.

you should try:
in the time of the butterflies (can't remember author)
and the color of water (can't remember the author). Both GREAT!

PS:i'm still looking for easter shoes.

Kim said...

Thanks for the ideas!

I just barely started reading "The Other Boleyn Girl"...it was recommended by a couple different people. I also borrowed "A Long Way Home" by Ishmael Beah and "The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time" by Mark Haddon from a friend of mine. They were books she had read for her Book Club and she said she like them both. But I haven't started them yet, so I have no opinion to share.

See you tonight!!!

Sarah said...

One of the best I've read in a long time is "The Good Thief" by Hannah Tinti. It reads like a modern classic.

Thanks for your reccomendations, I'm always looking for new books. :)

Amy J. said...

I too have been wanting to read A Girl named Zippy. I started to read The Book Thief but I was miserable with morning sickness and put it down after a few pages. I will have to give it another go!

Anderson just finished The Hunger Games today...maybe it will be my next read!

I love the Goose Girl!!! I am going to start a blog to highlight all my favorite reads but I just havn't gotten around to it.

Speak By Laurie Halse Anderson is really good.

Getting Near to Baby is a touching, sad, but super good book. I can't remember the author and my copy is out on loan right now.

Lisa Christine said...

When do you find time to read? Impressive!

lysh said...

Where do you get your books from? How do you decide what to read? I'm constantly looking. I pretty much read all of Ryan's hand me downs.

Brooklet said...

I think we have very similar tastes in books, because I read and loved all these books, too, in the last couple of months (I just finished the hunger games last week- so good!). I have a book list on the side of my blog, the ones with stars are the ones i think are good reads- if you need any new ideas.

Nicole said...

Thanks. Totally addicted/can't stop thinking about Hunger Games - I can't read it until my dinner is prepped - best motivation I've had in a long time;)

Julie said...

I loved the hunger games too. I can't wait for the next one. Thanks for posting some books but I am always looking for a new read too. Sorry I don't have one to recommend!

Amy said...

...but don't take my word for it! du-du-duh!...
(from reading rainbow...)

We recently read a girl named zippy in our ward's book club.

A couple I've recently read that I loved are To Kill a Mockingbird and Incidents in the life of a Slave Girl by Harriet Jacobs.