Do any of you ever have something that you love doing, but quite frankly, suck at?
This morning I was listening to my Wicked soundtrack in the van as I was taking my kids to school. Of course, I was belting out the lyrics at the top of my lungs, and Carson was just like, "Mom! You're hurting my ears!" It got me to thinking, "Why is it I'm such a horrible singer?"
Seriously. It's so bad--like nails-on-a-chalkboard bad. I'm clearly tone-deaf and can't ever hit the right notes. But, the thing is, I have such enthusiasm for singing. I've always loved to sing and dance since I was a little girl. I was always okay at dancing. I guess you could say I was "good for a small town" type of good when it came to dancing, but singing---yikes!
If I had even half the amount of talent as enthusiasm for singing, I'd be terrific. I love dancing even more. Whenever I watch So You Think You Can Dance I think, "Man, I wish I could dance like that!"
I guess it struck me as funny today because usually things that I'm horrible at I don't have any interest at all in doing. For instance, I'm horrible at riding bikes and you don't see me going on bike rides every day. Yet every day, my poor kids either hear me in the car belting out songs and possibly breaking the eardrums, or have them dance with me in my entryway as if it were a stage.
So singing and dancing are my two passions where love does not equal talent. Time to 'fess up...what things do you all have passion for, but you wish you had more talent in?
10 comments:
I too love to sing, but I'm not great at it. I always had dreams of singing my children lullabies. I had built up this romantic image in my head of me rocking my babies while singing a beautiful tune. That romanticized version was shattered the day that Josh (2 at the time) told me to stop singing cuz it "hurt his ears. But did I stop? Nope.
I say if you love singing, then belt it out. Maybe you can "Defy Gravity" by singing! (so maybe I'm listening to the soundtrack at this very moment....and maybe, just maybe I'm singing along at the top of my lungs too...)
you and me both. i am a froggy singer and yet i LOVE music. when i taught, i always sang with my kids. they never complained but i turned the music up loud and made sure i shut the door so that no adults would hear the frog singing.
Haha, I totally hear you on this. And ditto to both! I can't sing worth a darn and when I am alone, I swear I sound great...but when my kids tell me to stop....ouch.
I say....ROCK ON! keep on singing!!
I wish I could sew really well. I can fix stuff and kind of piece things together but I don't have the patience or precision to make like a quilt or anything like that.
I have this reoccuring daydream that someone overhears me singing and is so amazed by my voice that they immediately take me to american idol. And everytime I audition I think 'they are just going to tell me how average/bad my voice is' but they are amazed everytime and I make it all the way to the top ten. Its a good dream.
What? You can't sing? You mean every time we're in RS together you don't sing (nor do I) because you're BAD at it??? I had no idea....
I can shake my tail feather but, as you know, I cannot sing to save my life. That's probably the thing I wish I could do more than anything.
I am as guilty as anyone else. LOVE to sing, really suck at it!! I feel sorry for whomever sits next to me in RS because I really do try, but I really do suck. Also, I wish I could dance. Never had the opportunity to try since I grew up in the middle of know where with no dance team in my school. Cheering is what I think I am pretty good at but again never had the chance to give it a real honest try. I also wish I could do gymnastics like Shawn Johnson and ice skate like Kristy Yamaguchi!
The guitar...or anything musical for that matter. Oh I try but I suck! P.S. I have been dying to see wicked. I am super jealous but so glad you had a good time.
Sing, dance, sew, interior decorating...the list goes on and on. I want to be able to do all these things, but instead I just watch it on TV and imagine myself in their place. It's quite sad, really!
I wish I could relate but I am just really awesome at everything I do...sorry.
Um, let's try... everything...
Post a Comment