23 November, 2008

A Girl of Few Words

It is so hard to be a parent sometimes---especially when your child won't do the things that you want them to do and you have no control over the situation.

Kaiya has always been a shy girl around people she doesn't know very well. When she was younger, she would literally embarrass herself to sleep. She has taken the "shyness" to a whole new level the past six months though.

In June, right around Tami's death, {which I'm not sure if it was a coincidence or not}, Kaiya stopped talking to all adults except family. Granted, it's not like she was a huge talker to people she didn't know before, but she stopped talking all together. She stopped talking to her teachers, neighbors, and friends of the family. At the time, we just thought it was a stage she was going through and that she'd start talking again. But, over the past 6 months, it's evolved into something that is part shyness and also partly a game and control issue.

When she is around any sort of adult, she will not say one single word. Instead she'll communicate doing her own personal form of sign language. Ask Kaiya a question with a yes or no answer and Kaiya will shake her head. If she needs something she'll point to it. For instance, if Kaiya needs a drink of water, she'll grab the person's hand and point to a cup. Awhile ago when my neighbor asked Kaiya if Chloe was awake or sleeping, Kaiya put her fingers up to her eye and opened her eye. It's really kind of amazing the creative lengths Kaiya has gone to so she won't have to verbally speak. Kaiya will talk to other kids though, once she's warmed up to them. But, if she notices that an adult is watching or heard her talk she'll clamp her hand over her mouth.

It's been beyond frustrating for me. Not only is Kaiya a "Chatty Cathy" around our house, but the past few months I've been feeling like there hasn't been anything that I could personally do because she talks to us and it's not like I could make her talk to other people. It's like when you potty train your kids and they've got all the control and you both know it. You can't make your kids pee in the toilet until they decide they want to.

As a mother, one of the things that is most important to me is that I raise strong children. I want all my children to feel like they can stand up for themselves. I want them to feel like they can be heard by others, speak their minds, and know that the things they say are worth other's time. Yeah, I get that she's only four, but not being able to communicate to others is going to make life really hard for her as time goes on.

Anyways, lately I've felt like the "doing nothing and waiting for Kaiya to grow out of it" hasn't been working so well, so I got some friendly advice from a friend's mom, who is a therapist. She suggested to wrap up a bunch of presents, put them in a bowl, and lay it out somewhere for Kaiya to see. Then give Kaiya a specific assignment like, "If you talk to ____ tomorrow, then you can open up one of these presents in the bowl. " Also, we are to let Kaiya know that we will be talking to ____ to make sure that Kaiya talked to them. She stressed to make the whole thing very positive. Even if Kaiya doesn't talk and complete her "assignment", still make it all very positive and not get frustrated with her for not doing it, even if she's throwing a fit for not being able to open up one of her presents. Meanwhile, the person that Kaiya's supposed to talk to is supposed to ask Kaiya questions and give her opportunities to talk by pausing for very long periods of time to give her a chance or even saying something like, "Kaiya, I'm waiting for your answer." The person's not supposed to make a big deal out of her not talking though, just giving her opportunities to talk.

After hearing this, I was very excited to have a strategy for dealing with this situation and having the opportunity to try something.

So here's our bowl of wrapped presents, all in Disney Princess wrapping paper and in a pink bowl to boot! Doesn't it say, "Come on, you know you want to talk" all over it!

We tried our new "strategy" this last week. We presented our new plan to Kaiya, who started crying because she immediately wanted to open up one of the presents and didn't want to talk. We then gave Kaiya her assignment to talk to Miss Molly, her preschool teacher on Tuesday. Kaiya came home on Tuesday and she hadn't talked to Miss Molly, which wasn't a big surprise. I personally think it will take a while. Of course, there was the inevitable temper tantrum because she couldn't open a gift. But, we kept it very positive and upbeat saying things like, "I know you can do it, Kaiya! It will be so great when you talk to Miss Molly so you can open up one of your presents!" Thursday Kaiya hadn't talked either, but there wasn't a fit this time and she did say that maybe she'd say "hi" to Miss Molly on Tuesday so she could open a gift.

Hopefully this is something we can take care of soon. If any of you are ever around Kaiya, please don't make a big deal out of her not talking and just give her opportunities to talk. Also, if any of you are around Kaiya and I and you ask her a question, just know that I'm trying to give her an opportunity to answer and if she doesn't answer back and I don't say anything either, we aren't trying to be rude. :)

Anyways, I'm optimistic that this new strategy will work. I think she will get to the point where she'll realize that it's way more beneficial to talk then not to. After all, she was talking to other adults before, so I'm sure she'll start doing it again. I'm also very excited for others to finally get to see and know the Kaiya that our family knows and loves. She's the sweetest little girl and has brought such joy to our family.

20 comments:

PRP said...

You are a wonderful mother. Kaiya is a wonderful girl. This is just a small hiccup. She'll get it soon!

Lisa Christine said...

That bowl of presents looks quite enticing! I hope that your sweet little girl gets vocal soon. Keep us posted :)

Sarah said...

That sounds like a good plan to try out. I think Kaiya is such a cute little girl and has such a sweet little spirit. Even if she is a girl of few words. The last few times when I have done sharing time, she has come up to help me do a few things when I've picked her name. She will get there.

Kris said...

This is really a good idea. I love how you guys are helping her stay positive and giving her the opportunities to speak. She really is just so cute. I hope the presents all wrapped in Disney Princesses motivate her. Hey, if she needs to come down and talk to me, I'll have a conversation with her! :)

mumovearls said...

OHhh... Princess Presents? I'ld talk in church for those!... Just keep trying Lindsey... she'll talk. maybe? -n

AOlson said...

You are a GREAT mom Lindsay. What a good idea. I hope all works out well. She'll come around I just know it:)

Heather said...

oh the princess paper was the clincher... i hope she's gabbing uncontrollably soon.

The Lassen Family said...

Ya know, years from now....you won't be able to shut her up!!! Let me know if you need any more insight---Steve would be willing to chat with you anytime :) Good luck---you are sooo patient!

stylist to the stars said...

I am so ecited to see what happens:) Keep us posted.

Kim said...

I knew she wasn't talking to her preschool teacher, but I didn't realize it had gotten to be so bad. Hope the presents help. Pretty cool idea!

I'm just glad that I'm family and get the privilege of hearing that cute, little girl!

tharker said...

You're doing such a good job Lindsay. I love this idea and I think that Kaiya will hop on board very soon. I mean, a girl can only look at presents for so long before she's dying to open them!

Andre said...

It's a great idea, kids never do what you want them to. Keep trying, eventually her wanting a present will make her talk. Good luck!

Lisa said...

I think you are doing such a great job, Lindsay! I too can't wait to get to know the Kaiya that I hear about from you. I will try my best on our rides home from preschool. One of these days...

MadMadameMim said...

Can I open the presents? I love surprises!
BTW I had a friend in kindergarten that was the same way. I used to ask her about it all the time and she finally confessed it was because she didn't like her voice. When I asked why she talked to kids she said it was because she sounded different to kids. Then she said it sounded weird on the phone too. Once she was finally able to call me and our friend Lindsey (coincidentally enough) she started talking to our teacher cause we convinced her she didn't sound funny.
I doubt this little story will give you an insight but it just makes me think that sometimes kids have crazy reason for doing things that as adults we just can't fathom.
Good luck! I really hope it works. stubborn kids can sure be trying.

The Donald said...

Wow, that is interesting. I am amazed at the lengths that he goes to to communicate w/o speaking. She obviously is very smart to be able to pull that off. Hopefully the presents idea will work.

Julie said...

I wish you luck!

Debie Spurgeon said...

I'm anxious the hear the development. Good luck with the strategy, I hope it works well for you. The bowl of fun gifts is definate incentive.

lysh said...

You are such a great mom. She's a sweet girl. It will all work out.

Samantha said...

You are a great mom and I think you are doing a great job. Good luck.

Ms. Kristen said...

My daughter Katlyn was like this too. She has gotten better throughout her years. Some kids have anxieties about things. She can do it. I love how you are staying so positive. She can do hard things. My youngest still has a hard time with me leaving. I have to give him a pep talk everyday. Telling him that we have to do things we don't want to. That it will make us better grownups. I totally agree with you in waiting awhile. Maybe get down at her level.....until she will speak. Maybe Ms. Molly can hold her hand? Sometimes kids need touch to feel confident. She will get it. Parents know just what to do. You are doing great! Hang in there!