22 September, 2008

A Trip Down Memory Lane

I recently got some of my old toys from my parents' house and it made me quite nostalgic. Kaiya and I had a blast playing with some of my old stuff. There were Cabbage Patch Dolls, My Little Ponies, and Barbies. Kaiya's not much of a doll fan, so the Cabbage Patch Kids were no big deal to her. I think she'll like the Ponies later, but at the time, she wasn't into them because she couldn't see anything past the Barbies.

As we went through the Barbies, some of them were definitely in better condition than others. One box was just down right scary. Remember that kid on Toy Story that has all those crazy toys made out of different doll/toy parts? That's what one of my Barbie boxes looked like. All of the Barbies were in a hot attic for 20 years, so really what do you expect! For instance, I had a Brooke Shields Barbie {Funny, huh!} and her face looked fine, but for some reason her arms were now completely black. Another Barbie's head was completely off the body and kinda melty. She was scary.

Some of them were still in decent condition though.

This one was Kaiya's favorite. I can't remember her name though. Here she is with a matching Ken doll:

These next 3 Barbies were some favorites of mine. The first one was Day & Night Barbie. Here she is wearing her night attire. The middle one's arms used to move up and down from the switch on her back. It doesn't work anymore though so now her arms are just up.


These next Barbies are the Malibu Barbie, Ken, and some other Hawaiian girl who's name I can't remember but I used to pretend she was Korean, just like me.


Crystal Barbie was another one of my favorites. I thought her dress was beautiful. I mean come on, just look at her!


Oh, yeah...now who remembers Barbie and the Rockers? I was quite the fan...I really wanted the Rocker Stage but , alas, it was just a dream only...


This was my favorite Barbie growing up. I thought she was just gorgeous. She was my prized possession. I loved my Peaches & Cream Barbie!

I think Barbies were one of my absolute favorite toys to play with growing up. I was kinda anal playing with them though. I wouldn't let anyone or even myself ever take off the clothes of my favorite Barbies. I wanted the outfits to stay pristine and I was so afraid if people kept taking the outfits on and off they would get ruined or ripped. I also wouldn't let anyone fix their hair differently. Why my six-year old self even cared, I have no clue. I also always wanted the Barbie Dream House but never got one. I remember playing at Erin's house and always being so jealous of her Barbie Dream House. I had the Barbie Exercise Gym and trust me, that wasn't nearly as cool. That's okay though, I did have the Red Ferrari, so at least my Barbies had a sweet ride.

Did anyone else love Barbies like me? Did any of you have any of these Barbies? Most importantly, did any of you have the oh-so-coveted Barbie Dream House? Do share!

29 comments:

dirty>south said...

You forgot to mention that in the middle of a box of about 20 Barbies was a naked Ken doll.

Play on playa.

ashleyboice said...

Man...it would totally stress me out to have my kids play with them. We had the peaches and cream one...and we loved her (sam and I shared most toys). Also the one with the stars on her dress (they glow in the dark don't they??) and the crystal one. We never were allowed (man for good reasons too...my mom found two of our barbies laying naked on each other and we had some explaining to do) ken barbies so we would always cut a barbie's hair and she would be ken.

dandee said...

Peaches and Cream was my favorite too. Unfortunately, my mother didn't save ANY of my toys. I bet I could find one on ebay!

Stacia said...

I wish I had my old toys or just pictures! I had a Peaches and Cream Barbie too! I had the Barbie house that had 3 floors with an elevator that you pulled up to the top with a string. I don't think that was a Dream house, was it? I only had one Ken doll, so I remember having to decide which Barbie he got to be with. I wanted the pool for Barbie. I would sneak my barbies into my bathroom sink to swim and my mom sure got after me. Told me I would ruin them. Thanks for the flashbacks! :)

Brenda said...

I had so many of the same ones! I need to hunt them down from my dad's House!!! I fear what they may look like!

tharker said...

Do you know that my heart is all a flutter right now!!!

Peaches and Cream Barbie, Day and Night Barbie, CRYSTAL BARBIE!!! These were my favorites too. Of course you know that since we've had this conversation many more times than any two adult women should.

I also had "Korean" Malibu Barbie. Loved her!

Brooklet said...

I had that one that one in the picture with night and day barbie- the one on the end with the pink striped skirt that changed into a purse and her necklace changed jewels. Oh how I loved her.

Why is it that all your Ken dolls look like stripers? Please, a tuxedo without sleeves!

Kris said...

I can't remember the names of all the Barbie's that I had. I do know that my friend always had the newest and coolest Barbie toys. I wonder if we still have any of those Barbie's at my mom's house. I'll have to ask. How fun to find some toys that you played with. Oh the good memories.

Jan said...

My mother still has my barbies and the clothes she made them. I love going over there and watching kids play with them. Even though I chopped all of their hair off. I can't remember my favorite. It was none of what you mentioned. We only had a couple of choices. She was still a homebody back then. No fan fair of sorts.

Love you collection though. Ken was always naked in everyone's house dirty. They made him the ugliest clothes. I was always mad that he could never fit in the gowns.

Sarah said...

HA! That one Ken doll looks like a Chip and Dale dancer. Too funny. The 80's were such a cheesy time. I wasn't that into Barbie's growing up, but I did like to fix their hair and make them little miniature earings to wear. That's really neat that your parents saved all of those for you.

Piper said...

WAHOOOO!!! thanks for the trip! I had most of those Barbies too! My Magic Moves still works, I'll be happy to share.... I think the one with the stars on her dress came with a bed? And the stars glowed in the dark?
Oh, and the one with the pouch dress that became a purse for you! And come on, Crystal Barbie's jewelry? She was Blingin' before that was even the thing.... that should make Jared happy!

Erin said...

wow, just seeing those barbies brings back memories...i remember sitting on your floor in your bedroom with all those barbies...i especially remember the peaches one....i wonder if i had that one too? anyways, we sure loved our barbies..fun days those were! days of playing, swimming and watching our soaps - at such an early age! HA.

Heather said...

Sweet, I recognize all those barbies. I had the pink corvette car, but my sisters had the ferraris (one white & one red). With all those girls there was a plethora of barbie crap laying around. EXCEPT the house, we never got one of those.

AOlson said...

Oh Yes, I too loved peaches and cream barbie. I also loved to watch Barbie and the Rockers. My favorite Barbie was the one with the pink ruffly dress that smelled like roses?!?! I can't remember her name but I loved her!!

::lindsay said...

Erin--
You totally had Peaches & Cream Barbie. Oh, and you forgot to mention how we all went to El Charros everyday for lunch.

::lindsay said...

Amy--
Was there a Barbie & the Rockers TV show? I don't remember ever seeing it.

Lisa said...

I LOVED Barbie's! My parents kept all of our stash (dolls, clothes, car, horse, etc.) and Camryn had a blast with them when while we were there!
I loved Barbie and the Rockers... and I had the stage!!

Jessica said...

How fun! My girls just got to pick out a bunch of old Barbies at my Uncles house, they were in heaven, even though they were all naked!

Julie said...

So i totally had tons of the same ones. The peaches and cream one was one of my favs too! Wow that just brought back so many memories! I wish my mom still had all of my old Barbies. Thanks for sharing

stylist to the stars said...

I was a total barbie and the Rockers fan (as we have already talked about). But you need to find the dream house now to go with all of your reto stuff.

Janna G said...

I have a lot of the same. My sister had peaches and cream and wouldn't let me play with it. I have mine up in my attic I haven't looked at them in years. My mom still has hers from when she was little too, talk about retro.

Debie Spurgeon said...

I got rid of my girls barbie stuff a few years ago. They really didn't play with Barbie's too much. They just used to get all the stuff out and make a huge mess and then leave it.
When I was a kid though I used to have a PIPPA which I suppose was Englands equivalent at that time. I used to have an apartment for her and I loved it.

Ms. Kristen said...

I think I am 10 years older than you, and my Barbies had groovy 70's clothing~! So, they weren't as well dressed as your dolls!
No, I didn't have a Barbie Dream house....but playing underneath the "quilt in frames" and making an entire town was my kinda Barbie livin'!

Mandy Rasmussen said...

I had the malibu barbie set -Ken, the blonde and the dark haired barbies. My girls don't really like barbies as much as they like dolls-I am glad!!

Angie said...

I remember that we didn't have a boy for the longest time so we cut the hair of one of our barbies and made her the girl. When we finally got guy barbies (black and white), we made her the lesbian or the maid.

Kim said...

Yes, Angie and I still most all of our barbies. Oh, how we loved those. We played with them for way longer than we should've. We loved to come up with background stories for them and get them all dressed and styled. Hours of fun!

Andre said...

I have a peaches & cream and the hawaiian barbies. My girls now play with them. THeir heads fall off more frequently now though.

Amy said...

I had an ice skating barbie and ken also with that same sparkly material as that last one. How funny!

Sarah said...

Lindsay, I tagged you on my blog today. :)