28 August, 2008

The First Day

Yesterday was Carson's first day of school. Doesn't he look so grown-up!

I can't believe he is in second grade already. I remember when he was a baby and other parents of older kids would say things like, "The time flies by and before you know it, they are graduated." I would always think to myself, "Yeah, right. Whatever." Now I can see what those parents were saying. The time really does fly by and I'm so grateful for the time I've had to be Carson's mother.

In typical Carson-like fashion, Carson set his alarm for 6 AM so he could be to school on time. {School starts at 8:40 AM.} By the time I got up at 6:30, he was showered, dressed and had made his own lunch already. I told him he really didn't need to wake up until 7 AM, but then he told me that he didn't want to be late and that I was always late. Nice.

We got to school around 8:20 AM, but cars were everywhere! Parents were not only parking to walk their kids to their classes for the first day, but the school was having a Boo Hoo breakfast. Carson was immediately very anxious and felt like he was going to be extremely late. I finally made it in the parking lot, pulled up to the drop off area, and Carson was out the door before I could get my hug and kiss. {I'd be lying if I said that it didn't make me sad.} Then, before I could pull out of the drop off area, some lady boxed me in my spot and parked her car! Ooh, I was so frustrated. Apparently she did not get the memo that it was everyone's first day of school, not just her child's first day.

It was kind of lonely at home without Carson J. The girls really missed having their older brother entertain them. I was so excited to hear all about his first day though. Carson's teacher this year, Ms. R., is a brand-new teacher, right out of college.

When I picked Carson up, I immediately started asking him about his day. After excitedly waiting all day, this is what Carson said:

Me: How was your day?
Carson: Fine.
Me: What did you do?
Carson: Nothing.
Me: Nothing?
Carson: Well, listen to rules.
Me: Do you like your teacher?
Carson: I guess.
Me: Is she nice?
Carson: Sure.
Me: What did you do at recess?
Carson: Played on the new toy.

So here I am thinking two things---1. He definitely inherited his Father's conversational skills when he doesn't feel like talking to others, 2. He had a terrible day. But then Carson said that the first day is always boring, and that it will get more fun when he gets some school work.

Phew! I was really starting to get worried there for a bit that he didn't like school anymore! Turns out, he wanted it to be more school-like on his first day. Same ol' Carson!

19 comments:

Debie Spurgeon said...

Good boy Carson to be looking forward to the school work. He is going to go far, really far. What a great attitude!!

I agree on where does the time go? Except when you're pregnant and then time stands still.

Erin said...

what a cutie! gosh, i can't believe he already is in 2nd grade...you are right time flies - and i don't like it!!

AOlson said...

I had the same exact conversation with Jacob after school!! They found each other first thing this morning and were standing in line together talking. I bet they are coming up with their master plan to take over the classroom!!!

Brenda said...

I think boys are so funny to talk to (men too). They never answer the questions the way you want them to.

tharker said...

Definitely same old Carson. I love it!!

And if it makes you feel any better, Hannah and Josh said the exact same things yesterday after I asked them about their day. Typical.

You're right, Carson looks so grown up in this picture!

Jan said...

Boys are so different in the expressing part. He looks so ready to go though. He probably had a fantastic day, but had to remain in his cool element.

Mattie opened the door and announced "5th grade is awesome". I remember the days of my boys opening the door and saying "that was so boring".

Earl Family said...

I want to know what you did in Heaven to deserve such an amazing kid!?! Either that or what are you feeding him and can I buy some? Dreamy. Congratulations!!

Lisa Christine said...

It seems like yesterday that he was in nursery when donald and I had that calling. Time does fly. He looks so handsome on his first day!

Emily Katlyn West said...

Hey just wanted you to know You should check my latest post because I kind of tagged you!

mumovearls said...

that's great! If only I could light the same fire under our 2nd graders behind! - I love how he was up at 6am!-n

hatch said...

So glad to know I was not the only one who had that kind of a conversation, or rather lack of conversation! The time really does fly by!

Sarah said...

Gotta love the crazy parking lots on the first day of school huh? Hopefully Carson can get some homework for the weekend so he feels like things are a bit more exciting. :)

Kim said...

I remember how much I looked forward to the first day of school. I was probably just like Carson...up way too early! Hopefully his teacher will get things going and start assigning work. She doesn't probably even realize what she's in for! I love it!!

Kris said...

Carson looks great. I'm so impressed that he got up at 6 a.m. That's mega early. I have to drag Tyler out of bed these days. Hope each day gets better for him.

melanie said...

The pandemonium of the parking lot on the first day drives me insane. Why can't people just follow along, ha.

Carson is so funny. When I asked the kids about school they were the same way. Then a few hours later Nathan lets loose that he got 2 'oops' stickers for talking out of turn. Man I have no idea where he got that.I hope it works out better for him that it did for me.

Was Kaiya bored? Dane has been driving me nuts over his boredom!

The Donald said...

Wow, he is getting big. The only memory I have of Carson is when you guys took him to see Little Nemo, and when you would ask him about the movie, the only thing he would say is, "Nemo's Mom died."

Second grade. Wow.

Jan said...

Happy Birthday Lindsay. I love virgoism. Have a great weekend.

Heather, Todd, Elliana, & Sienna said...

You guys got him to make his own lunch? Impressive. I say you should keep him getting up at 6am and then let him clean some of the house for you? Good "life preparation" for him for later on! By the way, Jared, I loved your comment on our skydiving experience. I wanted to take a pic of me in full body tights and a cape just for you, but alas...I couldn't find either item. Maybe next time!

Angie said...

oh my gosh he is just getting so big, it kind of makes me sad. I'm so proud of him though.