28 June, 2008

Lesson Learned

As I've mentioned many times previously, I'm a huge procrastinator. I love putting things off and am the queen of "later." When I think of things to do, I then always think in my mind, "I'll do that later." There have been several instances lately though, that make me realize how truly detrimental it can be to put things off.

So here is my new life's motto {that I'm really going to try to adhere to}:

Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can do today

While dealing with Tami's passing, it has become apparent to me how important it is to be prepared and to get one's affairs in order. There have been so many situations our family has had to deal with the past few weeks and it seems like there have been waves of frustrating news after frustrating news that would really have not even been issues had Tami been more prepared. This has been a huge lesson learned because I believe we all think that we have "all the time in the world." The problem is that we just don't know when time is going to run out. There are several areas where Jared and I need to become more prepared. We need to get some of our own affairs in order. In the past, we've always just pushed some of these things off to do "later."

The thing that's really bothered me though is my attitude and actions around the days before Tami's death. We were in town Memorial Day weekend as soon as we had word she was going in for surgery. Memorial Day we visited her in the hospital one last time before going back home. That day at the hospital she was still really out of it. The kids weren't comfortable at the hospital. It scared them to see her like that. And, I, {which I'm really embarrassed to say} was just impatient to leave. I just wanted to get out of there and I remember thinking to myself that we will spend more time with her another time when she's not so out of it. Unfortunately, that was the last time we spent with her.

Also, the day Tami got out of the hospital she sent a text to us saying how excited she was to get out of the hospital, how it had been such a hard process, and she was so excited to go home. At the time, I thought, "I should call her and tell her I'm so glad she's getting out and that I love her." Then my next thought was, "Nah. I'll just call her tomorrow since it's her birthday." Since she coded the morning of her birthday, I never was able to make the phone call.

Tami was truly an extraordinary person. She was the first one always there for us when we needed her. She was there for the moments, big and small. She was the first person to celebrate with us during happy times and the first shoulder to lean on during hard times. Every single one of us in our family has had times when we've thought, "I can't wait to tell Mom/Tami this." or "I want to show Grandma that." Man, what I wouldn't give to even get one of her 2 AM text messages!

My heart really breaks for Jared and his siblings. I've seen Jared go through the process of grieving for his mom. There have been moments of sadness, loneliness, stress, and anger, which I'm sure mirrors the way his siblings have been feeling. The loss of a parent is great---no matter if your 8 or 80, you want your parent there, to be that person who's always going to be there for you, be your cheerleader, and also tell you everything's going to be okay.

I know that Tami knew just how much we all loved, appreciated, and respected her. I just wish I had the chance to tell her all those things one last time and that during her last week I hadn't procrastinated for "later." So, truly, a big lesson has been learned in our household. Whether it's taking care of things you know need to be taken care of, or reaching out to someone that matters to you, I, for one, no longer want to put it off until tomorrow.

16 comments:

Ms. Kristen said...

Wow! That was a heart felt post! I will take that to heart...and not save anything for later! Thanks for sharing!

ashleyboice said...

I don't really know what to say. I love what you wrote. I am thinking of you guys...

Sara said...

What a great motto and a remarkable way to look at such a sad situation. I know the process of wishing for more time, and second guessing the moments that should have been spent with that person. I am so grateful for the plan of salvation and for knowing that this is just a small moment and we will have more grand and wonderful time with the ones we love so dearly.

Jan said...

You are so awesome Lindsay.

Jan said...

I forgot to say that we all have those times Lindsay. I had that same thing happen to me between me and my grandmother. I know perfectly what you are feeling. Please remember they love you and she knows you loved her. We will be together again and she just wants you to be happy and remember her through the love you show her son and her grandkids. Be kind to yourself. Your a wonderful person with a huge heart. Thanks so much for your reminder though. We do need to be constantly reminded. Hugs to you...

Kim said...

Very well said. I've had a lot of those same thoughts. I keep wishing we had more time to say the things we wanted to say and just be together. I feel pretty lucky that I got to "hang out" with mom when she came home from the hospital. It's still hard to get closure though!

Debie Spurgeon said...

This is big, I mean really big. I'm a procrastinator, big time. I have missed opportunities where there was no second chance. I don't learn from them though.
Your thoughts here are touching because of the subject matter. I'm so grateful for you sharing this because I'm sure it wasn't easy.

PRP said...

Great post Lindsay. I know we've talked about this a ton since Tami passed, but your thoughts are inspiring and really good to hear. I too have learned a lot from watching your family over the past few weeks, and the greatest thing I've learned is that yours is a family full of love and support for one another. I'm so glad you are surrounded by so many good people to help you get through this. Tami did an amazing job with her kids!

mumovearls said...

We pray for your family every day... We love you all!
ps Ryan and I are going to be In NY around the 8th we need Mitch's # so we can take him out and see him for a minute-Nena

Sarah said...

What you wrote is so, so true. I was just thinking the other day how old my granparents are getting and they can't do all of the things they'd like to do. I've really wanted to sit down with them and have them record some of their memories for me, and also learn how to make my grandma's rolls. You've reminded me I need take the opportunity to do those things now.

Brenda said...

This is something we all need to be reminded of often. Things can be taken for granted so easily without even being aware of it until it is too late. I really appreciate you reminding me of this. I think I have some phone calls to make!

Kris said...

This is a great reminder for all of us. It's hard sometimes to stop what you are doing and just pick up the phone to call someone. I know the feeling. Your family has been through a lot this year. You guys are great and I love the testimony that you have.

Angie said...

i love you myhre.

Brooklet said...

I needed to hear this. I am having these thoughts all the time, I should do this, I could have done this, etc. . . Thanks for sharing this lesson learned.

Lisa said...

What a great post. Thanks for sharing all your thoughts and experiences. I need to remember your motto and take it to heart.

Samantha said...

Beautiful post Linsday. I've been thinking about your family a lot lately. Because I know that during the funeral preparations everything is so crazy but it's really after every thing has calmed down that you have time to really reflect. So your family is still really in my thoughts and prayers.