21 May, 2008

Eating Better?

This week our family has started our plan to get fit and eat healthy. Jared just started Weight Watchers again and I''ve been wanting to lose the last of the baby weight. Anyways, it's been up to me to start making some healthier meals for our family to eat. I learned a lesson this week:

Some meals just shouldn't be healthy.

Example #1: Monday night I decided to make "healthy" funeral potatoes--you know, those yummy cheesy potatoes that the whole family loves. Well, they were funeral potatoes indeed, as the whole family was mourning the loss of the cheesy goodness. Carson and Kaiya wouldn't touch them after each taking a bite. Unfortunately the missionaries were over for dinner as well. I'm sure they were thinking, "Why do you have to take your dieting out on us? Wow, hope you didn't sign up to feed us next month."

Example #2: I found a recipe for Low-fat Baked Potato Soup. You'd think after Monday's debacle, I'd just leave well enough alone. No, no. I decided to try it anyway. Yeah, it was completely sick. Here's the dinner time conversation:

Jared: Hmm, it's not too bad. It's okay.
Jared {1 min. later}: Well, you can't exactly rate diet food on the same scale as regular food.
Jared {1 min. later}: Oh, that bite was okay...wait...that bite had a big chunk of bacon.
Jared {1 min. later in a totally sad voice}: I think I ate up all my bacon...now it's just soup.
Lindsay: I don't like this.
Jared {in a relieved tone.}: Phew! It's really gross. Are you going to save the rest of it?
Lindsay: Do you want to eat it for lunch tomorrow?
Jared: No. Unless you're trying to get me to lose weight by giving me really gross food so I won't eat at all.

So there you have it. When eating healthy, go for a nice stir-fry or chicken and steamed veggies. Don't try to makeover your favorite comfort food recipes into lower-fat fare. It just shouldn't be done, because you're always wishing for the good, yummy version instead.

14 comments:

PRP said...

Your conversation cracked me up! And I totally agree, stay away from rich foods like that because they don't taste even remotely the same when you add in all that low fat stuff!

Brenda said...

We have had this similar conversation in our house many times. 1st of all I am not a great cook, and 2nd I am really not a good cook at changing recipies to healthy... I'll stick to my WW cookbook.

Kris said...

This is hilarious. I swear, you guys are the funnest family ever. Thanks for giving us the heads up on your experiments!

Jan said...

Poor mans soup sounds like. Poor guy.. Is bacon on the Weight Watchers Program?

You guys are way to much fun..

Sarah said...

Good try! I agree that sometimes you just want the real thing. I found with me it's all portion sizes and that I cook way too much food. I really try to cut most recipes in half so I don't have the temptation of eating more than I should. A for effort!

Sara said...

I hear you on the don't try to revamp recipes. Great choices with the stir fry and the chicken. Big huge yummy salads are always a great thing.

polka dots said...

So funny. Eating healthy is sometimes NO FUN!

Heather said...

I'm impressed that you tried... cuz I wouldn't have gone that far.

Heather said...

Can you send me an email to contribute to the EAT blog.

Kacey Nielsen said...

So so true. There are some ingredients that just can't be replaced. If you guys are fish people at all, Costco has really good already prepared/seasoned fish in the freezer aisle that are pretty low cal and really good.

Debie Spurgeon said...

It just doesn't seem right to substitute some things in recipes, but when it works I get estatic because every little bit counts. Throw the cheese back in the spuds for calcium and enjoy every bite.

Alicia Leppert said...

That is so funny. It's so true, though, food that's been changed to "low-fat" is just nasty. For example: low-fat Ranch dressing. Tastes like fish. So nasty. I only eat Ranch, but if the only option is low-fat Ranch, I'm eating some vinagrette.

Lisa Christine said...

Why does low fat food always mean flavorless, not-so-yummy food?? It's one of nature's cruelest tricks. The good stuff is never healthy. Oh well.
Best wishes on your diet. Now that I am home from vacation I really, really, really need to get to work on the weight loss. I have the baby weight from 3 pregnancies to lose. Now that my child bearing days are over the weight needs to come off for good.

Brenda said...

Is there a way we can post a recipe request on the EAT blog? There are many things I would love to know how to make, and I am sure someone has the recipe for. Just an idea.