19 April, 2008

Dump the Frump

frump:
-noun
1. A girl or a woman regarded as dull, plain or unattractive
2. A person regarded as colorless and primly sedate

Ever since I had the baby, I've been a little bit blah and down. I just really haven't been myself. With Chloe crying all the time, it's been hard to do anything else. During the day, I find myself frustrated because I haven't gotten the chores done that I've wanted to do, I haven't played with Kaiya as much as I would have liked, dinner's something thrown together really quick, exercising has been nonexistent, and when the kids finally do go to bed, I'm too tired to do anything else but go to bed myself. I guess you could say that I've been a total frump! Honestly, nothing is worse, or more dull and unattractive, than a Lindsay who hasn't been taking good care of herself, because I wear my emotions on my sleeve. If I'm grouchy or blah, then everyone knows it!

I decided to take matters into my own hands this week though. I decided to "Dump the Frump," so to speak.

One of the things that's been a big source of frustration for me has been the fact that I haven't lost all the baby weight yet. I did some Spring Cleaning though and it really felt good. Not only did I pack the kids' clothes away that didn't fit them, but I also got rid of things in my own closet that were no longer worn by me, or didn't really fit anymore. Cleaning the closets killed two birds with one stone, because not only did I get a big chore done, I'm not going to be wearing clothes too small, which was depressing, no matter what size you are.

Thursday night I went with a friend to a few stores. It was so nice to get out without the baby and I got a pair of capri pants that fit! Yea!

This week, I also put in a little "me time" and learned a few new things. I learned to make cinnamon rolls from the baking expert herself. Baking has always intimidated me a little because I'm the type of person who needs exact measurements for things. Baking is all sorts of crazy because people will say things like, "You need 6 cups of flour or so, just feel the dough, you might need to add more." Huh? Things like "feel the dough, you know when it's a good consistency" doesn't really fly with me.

Tiffani's a great teacher because the c-rolls were yummy! I would have taken a picture of them, but freshly baked goods are a hot commodity at this house. They were gone instantly.

Nicole also came over this week and we made hair accessories for our girls. I made hair bands for Chloe in 4 different colors---

Then we made all sorts of flowers to attach to the hair bands---

Isn't it great! You can mix and match the flowers to the hair bands. Best of all, we are also attaching the snaps to other hair clips for our older girls. That way I can use all those flowers for both Chloe and Kaiya's hair.

Here are some pictures with one of my favorite models!





Okay, as you can see, she's clearly had it with me changing all the flowers and hair bands on her head for pictures. Sometimes you have to make sacrifices in the name of beauty and Mommy's blog, Chloe Dear!

Anyways, the hair bands and flowers were so much fun to make. It was absurd, really, how much pleasure I got from doing a little crafting.

Finally, I recently bought The Book of Mormon Made Easier, by David J. Ridges. Since I've had the baby, I'll admit, I hadn't really been logging in a lot of scripture reading time in my schedule,which I'm sure attributed to my current blah-like state. Anyways, I recently got "back on the horse" and started reading this book to aid in my scripture reading. I've really learned SO MUCH from it. It's a great book.

I'm glad I made an effort this week to "dump the frump." It was such a nice feeling to be productive and spend time with friends this week. I really felt like "me" for the first time in a long while.

28 comments:

Heather said...

Love the bows... I'm glad you are feeling better, I'm feelin' ya in the frump dept.

tharker said...

Dear sweet Lindsay. I am so glad that this week left you feeling more like yourself. I know how hard these last few months have been for you, so it's great that you were able to do a few things to help you feel better.

Just for the record, I DO NOT think you are a frump in any sort of way! You are always beautiful.

Making C-rolls was a blast. We need to do it again. Let me know, and we can make bread anytime!

Your bows turned out so cute. You and Nicole are awesome. How nice of Chloe to model them for you. I love the picture of her with the white flower. The little half grin on her sweet face is adorable.

I just love ya!

Alicia Leppert said...

Okay, I am EXACTLY the same way when it comes to baking. That's why I don't do it. If I do not have explicit instructions to the T, I can't do it. My mom is always telling me "a heaping spoonful" or "keep adding such and such til it's thick enough." No. That doesn't work.

And those headbands are the cutest thing ever. What a clever idea to snap on the flowers! I love the first picture of just the top of Chloe's head. I can almost smell the baby smell from here.

I'm so glad you had some fun stuff to help your frump slump. I really hope things get better for you soon on a more permanent basis!

Shayla said...

I hear ya on the whole frump stuff, I keep wondering if four years after the baby is born is too long for it to keep hanging around...? No, just kidding. I love the hair bows, they're adorable...what a neat idea with the snaps. I'm always surprised after a few hours of crafting with a friend at how re-energized I am. We moms need that sort of stuff to keep sane. I hope you continue to feel better.

dandee said...

Love the title of this post!

Having babies can do all sorts of crazy things to us, I'm glad you've been able to get back to the things that make you feel like you. And trying new things! Way to go! You get bonus frump dumping points for that!

Your headbands turned out so cute, I might need to commission some of those for Audrey!

Debie Spurgeon said...

I love what you are doing!! Good job on the cinnamon rolls, beatiful flowers for the baby, and you've never been frumpy. You are right though, it's all about how you feel. I've always thought you look fabulosa.

Lisa Christine said...

Oh those headbands....I am jealous. I would LOVE to have something like that for Elisabeth. They would do well at disguising her shunt.
Anyways, I am glad that you had some 'you' time this week. Sounds like you feel refreshed and ambitious.
And to make you feel better....I haven't lost the baby weight yet either, and Elisabeth is a few months older than Chloe.

melanie said...

Really Lindsay, I could copy this post, change a couple names and it would be mine! So I'm taking note... I need cinnamon rolls, scripture reading, new capris, a little me time with a little friend time and then I can DUMP THE FRUMP too!! Congrats on feeling like yourself. That's a good place to be.

Chloe and her bows are adorable! Good job. I'd be proud of them too.

Jan said...

Lindsay, your something else. You have the capacity to make others smile with your wit and charm. Your anything BUT frump. Your more like Scrump~tious. Those bows are just darling. And the rolls sound delicious. It was fun seeing your husband again and your beautiful home. Glad your feeling better and just keep moving girl. Your doing great. Your kids are happy.

PRP said...

Way to go for taking charge of that which was bothering you and changing it! You are so talented and have so much to offer but you're right- no one else can tell you how to feel when you feel yucky on your own. I'm glad things are getting better!

Kate said...

Those hair bows are so darn cute!

Although I have never looked at you as frumpy (more as a inspiration of how to look and act) I hope you get out of your rut for good soon :) I am glad the cleaning and craftiness helped a bit!

Piper said...

Good for you, Lindsay. Dump the Frump sound good to me too! Maybe I'll try a little of that this week! Way cute headbands!
Something that always makes me feel a little better is new lipstick.... Neutrogena has a great thing that's kind of like a chapstick with tint.... so you get the slick look of a gloss with out the sticky!

Nicole said...

I'm so glad I kept reading, from the title, I thought you were dumping me;)

Sometimes I crack myself up. Crafting with you is always a good time. I can't wait to make some more!

meohmyers said...

It's so great to have friends to get you out of frumpy situations. Sounds like you had a great week. Those headbands are so adorable as is the model wearing them!

Brenda said...

Cute Bows! I know what you mean about feeling frumpy, and this naughty weather is not helping I'm sure. Keep smiling!

mumovearls said...

Lindsay- Cinnamon Rolls? Wow! Hair-bows? Big WOW! You are on a roll! As a mom of 3 kids you need to take "you" time away from the family. I find it always helps to just get away and relax.(even if it's only a couple hours)
I'm glad you are feeling better, frumpy is no fun!-n

Kris said...

I love the hair bows. So cute. I would love to learn how to make those. So fun. Those pictures of Chloe are just adorable. Those hair bows are adorable on her.

Those cinnamon rolls are bound to make anyone happy! Tiffani, is great with making anyone feel like they can do it. I'm very impressed. I am glad you had a good week!

Nancie said...

such cute bands. If i had girls, they would have to get beauty tips from people like you.
im with ya on the frump stuff. gotta get over the hump.
good job!

Lisa said...

I can so relate to your after baby frump. Thanks for giving me ideas and hope to dumping my frump.

The hair bows are SO cute!

MadMadameMim said...

that third kid can be a real kicker. I'm still struggling to adjust and my youngest is two and half years old! I'm glad your feeling better though it is amazing how a little me time can go such a long way and for me exercising and scriptures are always a huge boost. Keep up the fight, you'll get'em in the end ;)!

Washington Rimmasch Family said...

Lindsay, when I think of frump you aren't even on my top 500 list of things I would use to describe it. Now if we were talking classy ,enigmatic, charming, hilarious, beautiful, kind, warm hearted, great mom, dear friend ?... You are in my top 10!

Marilyn said...

Those headbands are adorable, and your posts make me smile. You are so funny.

Thank you thank you for the tip on the Book of Mormon Made Easy book, I need to go get that TODAY!

Thanks for inspiring!

Washington Rimmasch Family said...

Oh and I love the hair bows!! They are so cute and I love the snap. Did I mention crafty in my list? Well, I meant to.

Jessica said...

Great post! Nicole you are cracking me up with your comment! The bows are adorable! And of course so is Chloe!

Kim said...

Ha ha...Nicole's comment made me chuckle out loud!

I'm proud of you for doing something to make yourself feel happier! I think I need some of that.

Sara said...

Way to go Lindsay. You are doing an awesome job! I love all the projects and the new attitude about yourself. You look amazing for having three kids and I would gladly switch post baby weight with you (LOL) Keep up the hard work.

Mandi said...

Ok, i totally want to learn how to make those. They are darling!! Is it hard?

Brooklet said...

Your posting these much to swiftly for me to keep up on commenting. First off all, the bows look lovely, glad that you are feelinga bit more like yourself.

And I think you are always beautiful!