Friday was a significant day for me---10 years ago I was baptized.Things I'm grateful for today:
I'm grateful for my awesome friend, Alysha, who despite her nervousness, asked me if I would be willing to meet with the missionaries and take the discussions. I'm also thankful for her love and friendship. At the time, I knew that she truly did love me and that if I decided that I wasn't interested in the church, she'd still love me anyway.
I'm grateful for David Ranes, the missionary who taught me the discussions. The spirit was truly so strong during our meetings. It really knocked me for a loop because I really wasn't expecting to be affected at all. I thought I'd meet with the missionaries, hear what they had to say, and be like, "Yeah, thanks, but no thanks." By the time I decided to get baptized, David was no longer on his mission, so I was really touched that he flew all the way to ML to come and baptize me. It was very special.
I'm so grateful for all the LDS people in my childhood and teen years. I had some really great LDS friends who were such good examples to me. My friends were all the kind of kids I hope my own children will be someday---friendly, kind to everyone, yet strong in their own standards, and such good influences on others that I, for one, didn't want to disappoint them by lowering my own standards. I'm also grateful to their parents for recognizing that "a good kid is a good kid." If I hadn't been around these friends of mine, I definitely wouldn't be in the place that I am today. I think as parents, often times we worry about the negative influences others can have on our kids. I'm glad these parents gave their kids the opportunity to be good influences for me.
I am so grateful for the Holy Ghost which testified to me that the gospel was indeed true, and that it was with me during that especially hard time when those around me were so opposed. The Spirit was so strong which made me so sure that I was doing the right thing. As many of you know, I'm completely indecisive. I can't even make little decisions like where I would like to eat, or what movie to see, and etc. Looking back, the fact I was so sure and had such strong faith at that time is completely amazing to me.
I'm grateful for the knowledge that families can be forever. This is one of the things that really appealed to me when I took the discussions. I don't know, maybe it's because I'm adopted. I just loved the thought of having a family of my very own and that it would be forever. Now that I've been married in the temple, I have that and it brings me so much happiness because I absolutely adore my little family.
I am grateful for the knowledge that I am a child of God. It may not be that big of a deal to some, but for someone who didn't grow up with the gospel, it's profound.
I am grateful for the Atonement. As someone with a perfectionist personality, the knowledge that I have to do my best and that He'll make up the rest, was comforting beyond measure.
Reflecting upon my baptism and these past 10 years, I see that I've been so blessed.
25 comments:
Lindsay, I so admire anyone that joins the church. I was raised in the church and I always wonder what I would have done at an introduction. I absolutely loved hearing your conversion and also the love that you have for the Gospel. You do not take it for granted. I am grateful that you expressed your gratefulness of those important restored truths. You are blessed. Thanks for sharing.
Thank you so much for sharing your testimony Lindsay. I look at the way that your life has played out and I am always amazed at how the hand of the Lord literally guided you to where you needed to be so that you could recieve the gospel.
To think of how completely different your life would have been had you not been adopted stills blows me away. Thank goodness for your mother who could see that there was something more out there that she was not able to give you.
I had no idea that the missionary who taught you came back to baptize you. What an awesome experience for both of you. Your testimony and example are so amazing. Your children will hear of your story and it will give them so much strength.
I had chills while I read this story Lindsay. The fact that the missionary came back is truly amazing. I really enjoyed hearing how learning the truths of our church, really touched you. What a neat experience for you, and I know you will remember it forever. How exciting that it's been 10 years since that special day. I admire you for choosing to accept the gospel. Like Jan, I always wonder what I would do. I'm so glad that you shared this with us. I always enjoy hearing how someone was touched by the spirit and joined the church. Thanks so much!
I loved hearing this story!
I agree with you about recognizing good kids. I think our children have much more potential and influence than sometimes we give them credit for. I love that you still remember those kids in your younger years.
Thanks for telling your personal story. I think it took courage and a great sense of self to feel what you felt and do what you did. The spirit is an amazing teacher, I am so grateful for it.
The part of your story that really stands out to me is that you are grateful to the parents of your friends. This is a profound and thought provoking idea. It seems that we only want our kids to hang out with the LDS crowd, but we forget that if we are teaching them the way we should then they can use their testimony to help bless the lives of others, thanks so much for this.
Thanks for sharing your amazing and touching story. I feel like my own testimony is strengthened when I hear conversion stories such as yours. My husband had the same experience of growing up and having really good LDS friends and their parents always being so kind to him (which probably took a lot of faith to let their kids hang out with him, ha!) I'm glad you had such an awesome missionary teaching you the discussions who came back to baptize you. That is special and I'm sure he will never forget that experience either.
I admire so much that you bore your testimony on your blog. Your testimony has always impressed and touched me. You are an amazing person.
This is such a beautiful post, I too had chills reading it. I love hearing people's testimonies and their conversion stories. That is so amazing that he flew back to baptize, do you still keep in touch with him??
Linds - I am so thankful for all of your ML friends who introduced you to the gospel. Without them, I may never have met my tiny Asian 'sister from another mister'.
Seriously though, I have always been so impressed by your testimony. I know it's not easy to be a member of the church, but you always have such a strong commitment to staying true to the teachings of the gospel. You are such an amazing example to me and your children are so lucky to have such a strong and amazing mother! You are a light on the hill!
Congratulations on 10 years. You are such a strong woman with a very special spirit. Thank you for sharing your testimony and baptism experience.
Thanks for sharing you story. I hadn't heard all of it before. I love reading your blog, seeing you as a mom. You were a great friend and such a good person. My childhood would not have been the same without you. Thanks for the great memories.
What a great story. As you know, like Sarah my husband has a similar story as well. Thank goodness for his friends that got him intrigued with the church. What a huge decision you made for yourself and for your future family. Thanks for sharing.
Your testimony made my heart happy today! Happy ten years to you!
Lindsay, Even though I was around for much of the discussion/baptism phase, I truly enjoyed your account of the experience. I admire your courage and strength in facing the adversity that surrounds that issue, still, for you. I appreciate your teaching/guiding/example for Carson, Kaiya and Chloe. I am happy Jared & you are an eternal family. I love you lots and consider you one of my daughters...like it or not :) TAMI
What a great conversion story, thank you for sharing it on the precious anniversary. I too appreciate someone having the courage to bring the missionaries over to my house. I am grateful he didn't ask first, or I might have said no. Thank you for sharing.
What a touching conversion story. I never knew all the details and I'm so glad you shared it on your blog! You have such a strong testimony and to think it only started 10 years ago. I'm so glad you were able to decipher the whisperings of the spirit and decided to join the church on your own. It's an amazing step of faith you took and so completely admirable. You are a wonderful example. Happy 10 years to you!
I just have to say that that picture is totally cracking me up! Are you sure you were really 19?!?! You look so little.
What a sweet post. Your testimony is so strong and what an amazing example you are! I'm pretty sure I've never recorded my testimony, this is so great for your kids!
You look so great on your day. I can't believe it was 10 years ago. Doesn't time fly?
I was wondering when somebody was going to mention that picture. Yeah, I do look like I'm 12. It doesn't help that he's really tall either.
12??? You look like you're 9!
But your story was so sweet and so good to hear. I love it when people share things that are so precious to them. You just may have inspired me to share my story!
You rock!
Thanks for your story and your testimony. It is a beautiful example of following the spirit. Both for your friend who invited you to learn about the church and for you, as you gained your testimony!
Lindsay, thank you for sharing your beautiful testimony with us. Reading your story is a blessing.
Happy 10th Anniversary!
Thank-you so much for sharing your story. Your conversion story really touches me. I really admire you, who at such young age reconized the truthfullness of the gospel and made the decision to be baptised. I am glad you had those good friends who were not afraid to share what they believe with you. I love that the missionary came back for your baptism. That is really special. You have a beautiful family, and I am have enjoyed getting to know you better. Thank-you for sharing this.
I was very touched reading your conversion story. Congratulations on 10 years. You and your family are beautiful.
Post a Comment