26 March, 2008

So Long, Toshiba

A moment of silence is due...

Our TV died today.

Carson was playing a video game today when all of a sudden I hear him say, "Mom, the TV isn't working anymore." Nice mommy that I am, I immediately say, "What did you do!?" in my most irritated mom-voice. I couldn't figure out what was wrong with it so Jared looked it over when he got home. Turns out, the picture on the TV completely went out. You can still hear sound, but absolutely no color appears.

This is no good people! You know how much our family loves TV. We were an actual Nielsen family! Ugh! I was so frustrated. I know our TV wasn't the newest, but really should it go out after 6 1/2 years? I mean, sure, we watch our fair share of shows, so yeah, I guess you could say we got a lot of hours in on the TV. Okay, so if this TV were a car, you could say we got like 100,000 miles on it, but whatever!

See, the thing is, we have a TV that is like a good 15+ years old and it is still working. Well, I guess the term "working" is used very loosely in the previous sentence. For years after you turn the TV on, it would be all fuzzy, make all these lines and this awful noise, and you'd think, "Okay, today's the day the TV's going to go out...yep, there it goes...wait a minute...nope...it's still working." It was our little TV that could. So imagine the shock today when our newer, "never had a problem" TV went out.

This is the problem with electronics today. You can't really even try to get them fixed because by the time you do, you've spent as much money as you would on buying a new TV.

So for the time being, we've moved the broken TV into the garage and our TV from our bedroom downstairs. It's actually bigger than the broken TV so it won't fit in our current entertainment armoire. Instead, the TV is now sitting on our coffee table. For those of you who've been to my house, you all know that there is absolutely no decorating that has been done. It was pretty barren before, but now without the entertainment center, it looks like our house has been robbed. I kid you not. The TV on the coffee table plus the surround sound cords that are dangling from the walls {which resemble Davey Jones' Kraken} are enough to make this mommy extremely batty.

As far as problems go, on a scale of 1 to 10, I realize that the TV going out doesn't really constitute as a problem, therefore it doesn't even really rate on the scale. But, it's almost 11 pm at night and I guess I feel like whining a little. Besides, my blog is called 5 Minutes You'll Never Get Back....you can't say I didn't warn you! :)

18 comments:

PRP said...

Ok Lindsay, continue to take deep breaths. Everything will be ok. And I'm just around the corner if you need a hit of TV.

I know how deep your addiction runs!

Sara said...

TV the all time saver of sanity. I loved reading your comments about looking like you have been robbed. I hope you get one that fits soon.

Sarah said...

So sad about your TV! Glad you had another one, even if it is older. I would probably be freaking out too though. I don't watch a ton of TV, but I have to get my weekly fix of the shows I do like. I loved your description of the surround sound chords. I've got a good picture in my mind!

Alicia Leppert said...

How traumatizing for you! I'm so sorry. Luckily none of the shows have come back. You still have a couple of weeks to replace your tv!

Brenda said...

Your blog is so funny! I wish we didn't have a TV most of the time. We have a 27' Sony flat screen (not flat panel) that works great sitting in the garage. My husband wants to put it on Craigslist for $150, but I would cut you a great deal. enjoy the PEACE and QUIET!

Jan said...

HEAD ON-apply it to the forehead
HEAD ON-apply it to the forehead

I don't know it just sounded sort of appropriate for this situation.

Lisa said...

So sorry about your tv! Good excuse now though to go buy a new one and get your DVR back!

Debie Spurgeon said...

I'm more in love with some of our electronic devices now more than ever, like my lap top. I feel your pain, I'd be lost without my entertainment module.

Jessica said...

You poor thing, there would we wailing and gnasing of teeth if our TV went out. I would be overjoyed, My hubby would actually have to talk to me at night! LOL

Washington Rimmasch Family said...

hmm I have mixed feelings about this... 1- that really stinks I would be in tears! 2- Hmmm maybe not, if I got rid of our TV we would actually get something done... 3- Nah I gotta have my fix -o- reality and ya know the "quality" stuff... ;) I hope your troubles come to an end soon... Maybe in the form of a new 52 in flat panel? by the way I always have five min to spare for a little whine time :)

melanie said...

We are in the current state of, 'Is this the day it quits?' with our TV. It starts out with really blurry red color and then slowly we almost get the real color, but it never quite looks right. Whatever, at least we can still watch it. So sad, I hope the old TV pulls through for now.

tharker said...

So when are you guys heading to the roadhouse bar to pick up the Coor's lighted sign to put on your bachelor pad walls? heeheehee! I just had to echo your own thoughts from this morning! You are too funny Linds.

And for the record, I would be in a right state if our TV went out. What kind of person does that make me? A mom who NEEDS her fix of pretend life on a big screen...that's who!!!

Samantha said...

Arg! I totally feel your pain. I spend hours everyday with my dear friend the television. SAME EXACT THING HAPPENED TO US. Instead of doing the prudent thing and just use our other tv, kyle went out, same day, and bought a bigger tv from costco. You know, the rich STUDENTS that we are.

Kris said...

I'd die without our TV. This was funny! I totally would have done the same thing to Tyler, "What did you do to the tv?" Ha!

Piper said...

RIP, Toshiba....

Shayla said...

I swear there's a conspiracy between the furniture companies and the new television companies. All of us who got married a good 7-10 years ago bought our entertainment centers with holes only big enough to fit the "square" tv's. Now with the new widescreens we're forced to not only buy a new television but a new entertainment center to fit it. Who can afford all that at once? I'd be whining if I were you, too. Good luck with that! :-)

AOlson said...

I feel your pain Lindsay. Nothing is more sad though than Kevin absolutely NEEDING to go out and buy and new big flat screen than day of the Zagz vs. WSU basketball game. He just couldn't stand to watch that game on our OLD television. I do admit, I LOVE watching all of my shows on our new television, they look so pretty.

Rachael said...

Your blog is so funny! I was asking Alicia about you, and I totally remember you from 6th ward. And I recognize your kids from their pictures. I would be devastated if our tv broke. Every once in awhile Kent will try to say he is gonna turn off cable to save money, I tell him to just turn off the phone. DVR is a mom's best friend. I don't know how I ever lived with out it.