30 March, 2008

The Apple Doesn't Fall Far From The Tree


One of Kaiya's favorite things to do is play dress-ups. She is constantly in a princess dress. Right now she loves to wear her red Belle dress, pink shoes, and purple purse. She thinks she is absolutely BEAU-TI-FUL.

Sometimes I think wearing the princess dress has translated into her thinking she's an actual princess because she sure can act like one occasionally!

Her "princess mentality" has been coming out lately during cleaning time. The girl will not clean to save her life. Having a child who will not clean is a bit of a foreign concept to me, since Carson is a huge cleaner. He's way too OCD to have a messy room and HATES it when his things aren't in their proper spot.

The other day I asked Kaiya to clean her room. She had exactly 12 things to pick up off the floor. I came back about 15 minutes later and there sat Kaiya next to her bed with a completely dejected look on her face. I asked her why she hadn't cleaned yet. She responded with, "I can't." I explained that if she hurried up, we could play a game before dinner. I came back later and she was asleep!

On Friday, her room was messy again so I told her to clean her room. She had "hurt" her leg earlier in the day so when I came to check on her she responded with, "I can't clean because my yeg {leg} hurts." I told her that she wasn't going to be able to do anything fun until her room was cleaned up and then I left. Later I went to check on her and I could hear her singing and playing in her room. Then she must of heard me walk toward her room, because all of a sudden, I hear her yelp, "Owie! Ouch! Oh, my yeg hurts!" Talk about the girl who cried wolf!

Probably the most frustrating part of her not cleaning her room is that she is using the EXACT same tactics I used when I was a little girl. Of course there is no way she could have known that I'd fall asleep every time my mom would tell me to clean my room so I could get out of cleaning it. The only difference is that my mom would then clean my room for me and I still make her clean her room. How on Earth did she inherit my "whole-lotta-lazy" gene? I am officially raising myself.

Oh, great. Jared's telling me to get off the computer now since he needs to use it. I should go clean the kitchen because it's a huge mess. But, then again , it's almost 9 pm and I am a little tired...maybe if I fall asleep, he'll clean it for me...

19 comments:

mumovearls said...

Ha! That is funny, sometimes I wonder about genes and passing it on to our kids Zaymes is a mini Ryan in more than one way. Ryan couldn't possibly be teaching that stuff I think it was just passed on-
Of coarse Hendrix is my mini me scary thought- Nena

Jan said...

I like how you equated her not doing things to the princess mode of thinking. I wish I had thought of that when the kids were little.
And I love how you knew that their were exactly 12 things to pick up.
She is adorable and I think that she will get out of it. Maybe you should find a Mr. Clean costume. Or maybe Wonder Woman. Those might inspire a little more action.
She's adorable thank goodness huh. ;-)

tharker said...

Your "whole lotta-lazy" gene....hilarious word choice Linds!

I love that she was suddenly "hurt" again as soon as she heard you coming. That little princess is indeed a princess!!!

Kim said...

Stay strong, Lindsay! Kaiya is so darn cute and smart.

Kris said...

Don't you hate how our kids can be so much like us? So did you fall asleep and did Jared clean the kitchen? I went to bed without doing my dishes, and they are still in my sink dirty! UGH!

I laughed out loud on this post Lindsay. Too funny! Little Kaiya's leg hurting is so much like Sydnee. When I tell her to clean her room, she ends up playing in there for hours! Funny!

Sarah said...

You know what is funny about this, is that the only time Kendle ever plays in her room is when I tell her to go clean it. Then she'll be in there for hours. Glad I'm not the only one who has that problem. Oh to be a little princess again.

Heather said...

Ha ha. Funny story.

Jessica said...

Maybe it is just a girl thing cause my girls do the samething.
Genetics amaze me how one child can be so much like dad and the other exactly like mom. Even the "whole lotta-lazy" gene, too funny!

tharker said...

I keep coming back just to look at this picture of Kaiya. She is in definite Princess la-la land here. Love it!

You've got one funny little girl on your hands Lindsay!

dandee said...

I bet your parents love hearing stories like this! Payback...

Debie Spurgeon said...

I love your storytelling. Kaiya is so darn adorable, how can you get mad at a little face like that? Did the kitchen get cleaned while you slept? Mine waits for me.

tiff said...

Its crazy to see her- its like Ive been transported back in time and am looking at little lindsay myhre.

hatch said...

She is so cute! I love how she says her yeg hurts. I am having the same issue with getting Chloe to clean her room. So all I can say is good luck and let me know if you find something that works.

Alicia Leppert said...

Yeah, getting Payson to clean his room is like getting a mountain to move. He'll go in there and play, then whine, then play some more, then when he realizes there's no getting out of it he dumps everything in his closet.

I love that Kaiya is such a princess. What a cute picture.

melanie said...

Kaiya is adorable! Her princess behavior is cracking me up. Dane is always saying his legs hurt to get out of cleaning. A possible second child thing? I'm still waiting for the kid that loves things in the 'proper spot.

polka dots said...

When I ask my kids to clean up they have been known to say, "Why do I have to do all the hard work?"
Kaiya would fit in well over here I think!

Jill said...

Your kids and my kids are rediculously alike. Jack has always been a great cleaner/helper/organizer. Bella will come up with rediculous excuses as to why she can't or won't clean. And she thinks she is a princess and that in itself is reason to be excused from the things we mere mortals must endure.

Megan said...

If you come up with a great solution, let me know! We have the same problems here. Her bedroom looks like a whirldwind hit.

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Vinho, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://vinho-brasil.blogspot.com. A hug.