Now that we are full-swing into the Christmas season, the party invitations have been coming in and I was invited again to my friend, Brooke's Christmas cookie and ornament exchange party. This is her 5th annual party and for the last 4 years it hasn't been pretty.
I think you all know how cookie exchanges work--you bring 2 dozen cookies--1 dozen for eating and 1 dozen for sharing. At Brooke's party, after we've tried everyone's cookies, we vote on them, and then everyone takes 1 dozen cookies (an assortment of everyone's cookies) home with them. The past 4 years how many cookies have I brought home? Oh, about 3 dozen. Why? Apparently because my cookies are not only displeasing to the eye, but also disgusting to the taste so no one wants to take them home with them. I end up with the 1 dozen assorted cookies and my 2 dozen cookies I brought with me.
It's no secret I'm not exactly the best baker...remember Kaiya's birthday cake? But, come on! I can't go for a 5th year home with all my cookies. Even my self-esteem is not that good people! I was analyzing some of my previous cookie choices and I've realized a few things...
1. It can't be just a normal cookie. I can't bring just a normal Chocolate Chip cookie with me--it's too boring. (Lindsay's Christmas 2003 mishap.)
2. Green mint chips aren't very appealing in cookies a lot of times. This was the cause of Lindsay's Christmas 2004 mishap. They kinda looked like cookies with chunks of green mold in them.
3. The recipe can't be too complicated and I have to also buy my ingredients ahead of time and give myself enough time to make them. Lindsay's Christmas 2005 mishap occurred because of my inept baking skills. I, of course procrastinated, then I didn't have all my ingredients, overbaked a few, and despites the good recipe, they didn't turn out good.
4. Even if it is a good cookie recipe, the cookie can't be hard. Last year I made a cookie that was like a homemade girl scout thin mint cookie. At the time, I thought, "Okay, this might be good. I got the recipe from a friend, other people had tried it and liked it, it looked festive, it was mint so it tasted festive...I'm good." WRONG!!! A lot of times during the tasting portion of the party people don't want to eat the whole cookie so they'll cut it in half. Well, a hard cookie is difficult to cut with a plastic knife, so again all my cookies were left untouched...ergo the reason for Lindsay's Christmas 2006 mishap.
So this is what I need...ONE AWESOME COOKIE RECIPE. It needs to look festive, have pretty presentation, taste good, and be easy enough so a baking-challenged girl like me can make it with relative ease. Oh, and if it had chocolate in there somewhere, that would be good too, since the stuff with chocolate are always people's favorites.
I'm not asking to win the cookie exchange, or even be in the top 3, though the prizes are always rockin'! I set my sights lower than that---I'm just asking for people to eat my cookies and to not come home with all my own cookies.
If anyone can help with my cookie dilemma, please email me your amazing recipe!
13 comments:
I sent you one of my favorites. It doesn't look all that festive, though it does have chocolate...and caramel. And it is easy.
It's not a cookie, but it is festive and E-A-S-Y, what about peppermint bark?
How about homemade Oreo's? Nothing is easier and they are SOOOOO yummy. Let me know if you're interested.
My old standby is the white chocolate/cranberry/oatmeal cookie. I know people like them, and they are super easy to make. You just have to make sure you pull them out of the oven a little sooner than you would think you should...that way they cool down and are chewy. I'll give you the recipe (or maybe I have before) if you want it.
I'm really not laughing at you Linds, you know I'm laughing WITH you right???
I have a suggestion similar to Nicole's. It's not a cookie, but you could make English Butter Toffee. I made some a couple of weeks ago, and not only is it super easy, but it's delicious. Would they go for something that's technichally not a cookie?
What a fun tradition! Your telling of all your mishap's, is hilarious. I'm with Tiffani, I'm laughing with you! This is great. I don't have any great cookie ideas, except a cute sugar cookie decorated. I'll have to google an idea. Hey, have you thought about buying some from the store and pretending that they are yours??? Just a suggestion!
hahaha!
Ok, I'm totally kidding, but it's worth a shot!
Is your phone working yet?? I don't have your email address either, but I was wondering if you knew about the Progressive Dinner Enrichment that is tomorrow night! The first house is Kim H. and I think it will be fun! I can swing by and get you if you feel up to it! Give me a call!
Do you like ginger/molasses cookies? They are really soft, easy to make and I love them this time of year. OK, there's no chocolate in them but they are festive. Your roll the dough in sugar so they have sugar crystals all over them. Don't let the name throw you off with the sound of ginger, they are really good! But I don't have your email...now how to get it. I have Angie's maybe she would oblige me with a forward to you.
In my cookie exchange days, I used to use a favorite recipe from my mom called butter cookies. They are basically a shortbread-type cookie with nuts that are rolled in powdered sugar while still warm. I'd make them in small balls and call them snowballs. They were always a hit. Can't find the recipe right now, but they are easy. Call Grandma (509) 765-3331 and she will help if you want. Good luck...you're post made me laugh! Thanks...you brightened my day.
In my cookie exchange days, I used to make my mom's butter cookie recipe - delish shortcake-type cookie w/nuts, rolled in powdered sugar when still warm. I called them snowballs and they were a hit. I can't find the recipe right this minute, but call Grandma and she will let you know(509)765-3331. Good luck...you're post made me laugh!
I was going to suggest molasses cookies like Melanie. They are easy, and they smell like Christmas to me. This has got me itching to go make some myself.
I have a few good cookie recipes if you are still looking for the perfect cookie, but I would try molasses or G-ma's butter cookie (those are yummy!) Good Luck!-n
I have a really yummy chewy molasses cookie recipe. Easy too. What's your email?
piperkw@hotmail.com
This is your year,I can feel it!
I am currently in love with a peanut butter chocolate heath bits cookie. Very, very much in love. The recipe is on my blog if you want to scope it out.
Post a Comment