No, not real life, but the Milton Bradley® classic board game: LIFE
Today's version is much different from the one we all grew up with. You're not stuck in a career you hate because you spun a "6" instead of a "5" at the start, you're no longer forced to buy a house even though you have $15,000 to your name, and you don't even get money for each child when you retire. Sure, you still get to put the little pink and blue "people" in the back of your plastic station wagon, but the novelty wears off fast, and since there's no monetary value the "kids" are more props than objects of affection. Back in the day, adding another child to your car was like winning the lottery — once you hit the last turn on the game board toward Sunny Meadows you knew $10,000 was coming for each one of them.Needless to say, I'm not a fan of the new rules. I guess in an attempt to make it more "authentic" they added all kinds of choices for players to make – career paths, house styles, stock options, salary increases – you know... things that never happen in the real world. So, I chose to interject some of the old rules to make the game more fun, and to give my kids a little dose of "reality."
However, the thing I hate the most about the new version is the rickety old spinner. It fits very loosely on the base { At first I thought it was broken } and frequently comes off or gets stuck. Of course, this plays right into Carson's favorite career choice: Tech Support. Not only does the person with that career earn a decent salary, they also get $50,000 from the bank each time the spinner gets stuck or comes off the track. { I'm no computer dork, but I don't even think Tech Support at CTU or the mafia makes close to that much. } So when someone makes a bad spin – and believe me, it's often – he does his maniacal rich person laugh and demands payment.If Carson doesn't get the tech support job he almost always complains { sometimes cries } the whole game since he's "stuck" in a career that in his mind is way down on the food chain.
"I don't want to be a teacher – my salary is bad."
"Accountant!? That is so boring."
"I only want to be the doctor if I make $100,000."
We had a major family crisis one time when Carson chose Tech Support over the Physician occupation and I started giving him static.
"Carson, you went to college, why wouldn't you want to be a doctor? Look! Your salary is $80,000."
"Because Dad! Just let me be Tech Support. It's my favorite job."
"Yeah, but it's going to be very hard to win with that salary."
Of course, he then runs into his grandma's room and cries. She goes in after Carson to console him.
"Carson, what's the matter?"
"M-m-my Dad won't let me be T-t-tech Support and says all I can be is a doctor. H-h-he got to be a designer and we have everything we need in our life. I j-j-just want to be what I w-w-want to be."
Ugh. Drama.
And, to make me feel even worse he wins the game. { thanks to that ghetto spinner }
The only thing she loves more than the pink money are the pink people. Whenever she "earns" a child in the game it's always a daughter - because they're pink - and I swear she would pop a pink piece right next to hers when you get "married" if I didn't tell her that she was going to "marry Prince Charming" and quickly pop a blue piece next to hers in the station wagon.
24 hours later and $600 shorter we finally got the piece out.
No worries, though, I just use the whole experience to teach a valuable lesson to Carson:
Be a doctor.
8 comments:
Good lesson...
Love the game of Life stories from the Bate's house. This was superbly written by the way Jared!
Don't be a doctor. Too much school, too much money, too many stupid board members. I'm with Carson. Nobody messes with tech support :)
This was too funny. Your kids sound way to smart for their age. Poor Carson just wants to be in tech support!
This was great! I can't believe how funny your kids are! Good times together playing LIFE!
That's right Cuz, you put the hammer down! This family is all about respecting authority. Try giving him two choices though. "Carson, you can be a doctor or an assasin, you choose!" Maybe that'll work better.
Seems like our clan (especially the uncles) were never good with games (especially board games). Remember the huge Monopoly tournments that used to go on?
Sounds like the infamous Bates Board Game Competitiveness trait has been passed on. So funny.
That was a thoroughly entertaining read! So funny!
Post a Comment