16 October, 2007

All By My Lonesome

Jared and Carson have been gone for several days now, so it's just been Kaiya and I hangin' out. I'm even a little apprehensive sharing that information, due to Ashley's blog about her being scared some psycho coming and killing her because he read her blog and knew her husband was out of town! I know, I'm crazy and a scaredy-cat too.

Kaiya and I have had plenty of mother-daughter time though. It really has been great because the baby will be born soon and then we won't have as much time together. She and I have spent some fun-filled days playing dress-up, putting on make-up, playing princesses in the dollhouse, watching her favorite Barbie movies and reading books. She has been super sweet for the most part, constantly giving me hugs and kisses and saying, "I love you Mom!" Yesterday she threw 2 humongous fits (one which Cindy can atest to) so it reminded me why I NEVER want to be a single mom and that yes, I am looking forward to Jared and Carson coming home.

Every night Jared and Carson call about the latest city they've been to, the cool stuff they saw and fun places they've eaten. Yesterday evening they went to Mitch's restaurant, CRU, in NY. Of course the food was absolutely amazing and the staff knew Mitch's family was there so they kept bringing out all sorts of food and dessert for them to try. After Jared's long description of their amazing time, I'm like, "Yeah, I had a turkey bagel sandwich and nachos for dinner."

I've also managed to sub in the schools a few times while they've been gone. I just started subbing this year and it has really been an eye-opening experience. It's amazing how schools have changed since I've been a student. I subbed at a middle-school in a very low-income area on Thursday and it was very interesting. I couldn't believe how disrespectful some of them were. My last class of the day was crazy. It got so bad that security had to come in and talk to the kids. Once security left, the kids were horrible again, screaming, saying things in Spanish that I know were bad but had no clue what they were saying exactly, pushing, leaving the room, and etc. The vice-principal had to come in and remove a few students. After she left, another one was so bad because he was spitting on a girl, calling her inappropriate things, screaming, talking back and then just left the room. I had to find her again and give her the kid's name.

So all this may sound like I'm the worst sub ever, but the vice-principal let me know that this was an extremely hard class and the kids I had pulled out of the class had already gotten in trouble earlier and their parents had to be called already before my class. She said one of the kids that got pulled out of the class was so disrespectful earlier that he was yelling to her face and she's the vice-principal!

I've actually had good subbing experiences for the most part. The high school has been a total breeze! The other middle school I was at was good too. In fact, I've left those jobs feeling like, "Wow, I can't believe I'm getting paid for this." Thursday, though, I felt like I had earned every penny I made.

It is sad to think what our kids will be facing when they are in middle school and high school though. In another one of my middle school classes there was this cute 8th grade girl whom the other kids were asking what reading level she was at. She replied that she was at a 10th grade reading level. The rest of the kids were making fun of her and you could tell that she was ashamed for being smart. Also, when I was subbing at the high school, this girl had asked me whether I was having a boy or a girl. I responded that I didn't know and then she said, "I think you're having a boy because you are carrying just like I was when I was pregnant." Good for her for staying in school, but really she's a kid herself and shouldn't be having kids altogether!

So that's all I've been up to the last several days. Nothing too exciting, but I'll be sure to post some pictures from Carson and Jared's trip!

11 comments:

Heather said...

It makes me so sad to hear that story again.

I'm glad Jared enjoyed the dinner, it sounded like they "Didn't worry about it" too much!

Jessica said...

WOW! What a fun trip for them to be on! Is it just for fun or work related?

I am with you on it being a different world than when we were kids! I can't believe what our kids have to go through. Makes me want to homeschool.........for about a second! LOL

Tom Earl said...

You and I should have joined them on the trip! GOSH it just sounds like a great one......You are a great mom!

Kris said...

I can't wait to hear about their trip. How fun for daddy and son to be gone together!

The school situation makes me cringe. Oh, what will be do with our kids??

tharker said...

I'm glad that Kaiya is enjoying her special time with you. You're so awesome for letting Carson go. He's going to have SO much to tell you when he gets back.

Ugggh, the schools sound too crazy. I don't want my kids grow up!!!!

Sarah said...

Your subbing experience sheds light on something me and my husnand talk about constantly- the advantage of smaller schools. Don't know if our kids will be attending middle school or high school in Pasco. What a good mom you are to play and dress up with your little girl. She will remember that.

Nicole said...

Just so I'm picturing this right - Were you wearing the snow white dress or the cinderella dress?

meohmyers said...

LOL! Nicole that was a funny comment!!

I, too, can't wait to hear about this great trip! 10 states?!?! You know Carson is in his own little heaven right now!

You are one brave little woman to sub in the middle and high schools. I'm terrified what our kids will have to go through when they get there.

melanie said...

You are brave to be subbing! I love when you have that easy money feeling. Working for it stinks after having an easy day.

I love down time with one kid but hearing about their travels would make me a wee bit jealous. I'm glad they're having fun though. And dress up with Kaiya would make it all worth it. Too cute!

Kacey Nielsen said...

I subbed before i had scarlet and I had VERY similar experiences. also in a middle school. I must admit it made me a little scared to let my little baby grow up.

Brooklet said...

HOly scary middle school! I pour pity on their regular teacher.

I get so scared when I am alone at nights. I still have to sing primary songs in my head to fall asleep or every sound is someone trying to break into the house.

Good thing you have princess Kaiya there to keep you safe!