28 October, 2007

The Key to My Frozen Heart

Oh, ice cream, how I love thee? Let me count thy ways...

Most people who know me know that I LOVE ice cream. I always have, ever since I was really little. When I was really young, my mom would give me a sherbet cup every day after my nap. She always said she needed to give me something sweet so I'd be sweet. {I don't wake up well...never have, probably never will}

As I became older, ice cream was still my favorite treat. I remember in high school, Alysha and I would go to Baskin & Robbins {or 31 flavors, as we lovingly described it} and get our favorite frozen treat. We went there so often the workers knew us and what we wanted to order.

When I got married, I was so happy to find out that Jared shared my love of ice cream too. In college he even taught a girl how to kiss in exchange for a carton of Ben & Jerry's Chubby Hubby. Yeah, that's right...he whored himself off for chocolate covered peanut butter pretzels! When asked to explain himself, he said: "Well, it was Chubby Hubby. You know how good that stuff is."

In fact, Jared and I can get pretty ghetto when it comes to our love of ice cream. I'm not very proud of this, but a few years ago we did go to free cone night at both the Kennewick and Pasco Baskin & Robbins.

Now that I have kids, one of my favorite things to do is put them to bed and then fix myself a bowl of delectable ice cream. It's just a nice way to unwind at the end of the day. Bet you thought I was going to say that I shared with them. No – mean mommy comes out after 8pm and she no share.

Some of my favorite flavors:
Baskin & Robbins Chocolate fudge {very dark chocolate}
Breyers Banana Bonanza {though I love pretty much all Breyers}
Breyers Triple Chocolate
Breyers Vanilla ice cream {tastes like homemade ice cream and so good with hot fudge & a brownie}
Blue Bunny Take 5
Moose tracks
Ben & Jerry's Cookie Dough ice cream

14 comments:

PRP said...

So funny that I stopped by the computer to kill a few minutes while I let the ice cream soften on the kitchen counter....

I'm with you, all the way. Yummy!

Kris said...

I'm just finishing my ice cream treat too! I love sherbet with Sprite! I call it Sherbet Delight! I'm with you on not sharing with the kids! I love a good bowl after the kids are down! Cute post Linds!

ashleyboice said...

Breyer's vanilla is my all time favorite. I am with you too I don't share the good stuff with the kids. Breyer's had a special edition flavor...fried ice cream...it was DIVINE. Cali and I would sneak it from our kids and dream of it all day while they were awake...just waiting for the moment they would go to sleep so we could eat it.

Heather said...

Wow, I just downed some strawberry cheesecake...

Thanks for shedding some light on Jared's shady past.

Kim said...

Take 5, Chubby Hubby, and Chocolate/Peanut Butter (from BR) are my all time favorites!

Brooklet said...

mmmm, I like ice cream, too. Though hands down, the best icecream is cookies and cream- yum! Growing up we use to always get goo goo cluster and all the kids were so adament about getting equal parts that my parent would take off the outer container of the ice cream and then cut the whole block into 8 equal pieces. Good times.

Marilyn said...

Baskin and Robbins Peanut Butter Chocolate, it has been my #1 choice for at least 15 years.

dandee said...

B&R Prailins and Cream is where it's at.

tharker said...

Love me some Dreyer's Cookie Dough, and Dreyer's Cookie's and Cream.

The thought of Jared "whoring himself" for ice cream is SO funny!

This mean mommy comes out after 8pm also, and she no like to share either!

Sarah said...

I'm a chocolate chip cookie dough icecream lover, although when we were at the Tillamook Cheese Factory I had the best fresh german chocolate cake icecream. It was so good I wanted to cry.

Nicole said...

Blue Bunny - Bunny Tracks is my all time fav, but I also LOVE peppermint. Yumm - I totally don't share that stuff with my kids. Sounds like there are a lot of us mean mommies!

Jessica said...

My BIL used to work for Dreyers so we got it for free! AHhhh the good ol' days! :)

Angie said...

oooh i loved me some goo goo cluster back in the day as well. that was a staple in the "bates" house. man i miss ice cream...thanks for reminding me. :(

melanie said...

Breyer's Vanilla = Heaven!