20 September, 2007

The Trials of First Grade


School's been in session for 3 weeks now, and Carson is finally getting acclimated to his new surroundings. Carson had a bit of a rough start at the beginning of the year. Because we moved this summer, our new house was in a new school area. When I registered Carson for school at M.G. Elementary {where our new house is located} in August, I was informed that they were over their classroom capacity for first grade there. I was told that I wouldn't find out until a few weeks after school started where Carson would end up. Possible solutions were making another first grade classroom at M.G., making a Kinder/1st classroom, or having him switch to another school.

Carson was sent to M.G. for the first four days of school. Then I was informed that M.G. was still 10 kids over in their first grade so Carson and the others would be sent to M.A. Fortunately, M.A. was the school Carson went to last year. Unfortunately, the school district implemented boundary changes this year so most the kids he was friends with last year were at a different school. Also, he was finally making a few friends in his M.G. classroom, so he was a little sad to leave.

This whole process has been so stressful for Carson. He was so nervous going to a new school, not knowing anyone. I felt so bad for him in the mornings when he was looking for someone to play with and wondered if that's what it was like during lunch time and recess as well. When he was moved back to M.A., he had an adjustment process as well. Nobody really wanted to play with him the first day and he said he sat by himself the first day at lunch. As a mother, it made me so sad to think he was having a hard time. I'm sure we've all had an experience like that sometime in our life, but still, you never want it to happen to your child.

It has turned out to be a blessing he is back at M.A. though. He has an awesome first grade teacher in Mrs. G. Not only is she sooo nice, but I think she is really going to challenge him too. She already placed him in his correct reading level, really focuses on math and science {which he loves}, and had him start his very first powerpoint presentation!

What!? Powerpoint? What grade is he in? When I was in first grade, computers were nonexistent in the classroom. The first time I remember using a computer in class was in 5th grade when I was playing the game, The Oregon Trail. It's crazy the things kids do in school nowadays. Carson was so excited to make his very first powerpoint presentation. You could tell he felt so cool and that he was just like his dad.

Here's Carson's first powerpoint presentation that he did all by himself:

Carson's Powerpoint

15 comments:

PRP said...

He is such a stud! I'm glad he's adjusting and is feeling better about school. And major props to Mrs. Gerfen-can you believe how incredible she is???

tharker said...

Lindsay, his powerpoint turned out so great! I'm so happy for him that he is feeling more secure. That made me so sad that he sat by himself at lunch that first day. But I'm glad he's made new friends and loves his new teacher. Mrs. Gerfen is such a perfect fit for Carson, he is going to have such an awesome year in her class. Love that he put marbles in there too : )

melanie said...

My heart hurt for Carson when I read this! Adjustments are so hard and you're right, we went through them but we never want our kids to. I'm so glad that the teacher sees the potential he has and is challenging him (so many teachers don't, no offense to the teachers that do). Exactly what he needs! So in a round about way with many changes, a total blessing for Carson.

Without all of that school has been hard to get used to around here. We're still working on it, and I feel like I'm slowly going crazy with how tired they are!

dandee said...

I love how resilient children are. I think that is something we, as adults, could learn from them.

Carson made a powerpoint presentation in 1st grade? How smart is he!

Samantha said...

WHAT IN THE WORLD???? I still don't think i know how to do a powerpoint. and man, my heart hurt when i read about him having to eat by himself and look for friends to play with.

Kim said...

I'm so sad...I can't watch the Powerpoint on my computer. I don't know what I'm doing wrong.

Carson is such an amazing kid. He's smart, fun, has a great sense of humor...he'll always be great no matter where he is. I'm so glad he's my nephew!

Marilyn said...

That is impressive. Powerpoint in the 1st grade. Wow!

Sarah said...

It's hard watching our children adjust to new surroundings and let them do things on their own. Carson looks like a great kid though. I kind of felt the same way with Kendle on her first day of school because she only knew one other little girl in her class. She told me that everyone else already had a best friend. :( So sad.

Angie said...

carson is so amazing. tell him his presentation was awesome. what a cool kid. can't wait to see him and spend some time learning with him.

Heather said...

So cool! Will he stay at Maya forever now??

Jessica said...

That's great he has such a great teacher, they really can "make or break" your kids! I'm so impressed he is learning power point! Maybe I should go back to first grade to learn how to do this!

tamiearl said...

Carson...YOU ROCK!! So glad you've ended up in a great classroom. I'm sure you'll have lots of friends in no time. I'm constantly amazed and entertained by you. Can't wait to see and learn about new places on our trip next month. Love, Grandma

Nicole said...

I am so happy that he has Mrs. Gerfen. She is amazing!!! He will thrive with her. I just wish we could clone her and take her everywhere with us!

ashleyboice said...

I hate that the school district moved him around like that...they should know how traumatic that is for a 6 year old. Sheesh. The other thing that I don't like is how you are so in charge of your kid for the first 5 years of their lives...and then all of the sudden the "school district" gets to say where they go and what they do. Of course...kids are tough and they adjust...and I guess it makes them great adults. It is just hard having to see them go through it.

*Tanyetta* said...

my first time to your blog! your son is a genius. 1st grade and doing powerpoints??????? does he offer tutoring???????? he is so cute. you're such a proud momma. i love love love his powerpoint. tooo cute!