21 September, 2007

Bands Who Must Die

A fun activity for the weekend
Name 5 bands/musicians who you want to just go away...forever. I'll start:

1. Nickelback: I rarely listen to the radio, but why is it every time I turn it on I have to hear Nickelback? I'm not kidding - every...single...time. It could be a hip-hop station, or a Spanish station in the middle of Idaho, and I guarantee at some point I'll hear: "Look at his photograph. Every time I do it makes me laugh..." come blaring through the speakers. A guy I work with has the same theory about U2. He says he's heard a U2 song at least once a day for the past 10 years. At least U2 doesn't suck. Now, I'm not the biggest U2 fan, but I would gladly trade one day of listening to nothing but Bono and his sweet Dooblin pipes than one more second of Nickelback. The only thing you can admire about them is their ignorance that they don't know how bad they suck. Man...just an awful, awful group.

2. Avril Lavigne: I was hoping when she first came out in 2002 that I wouldn't have to care enough to despise her, but now it appears she is not going away anytime soon so she absolutely makes the list. I thought she was just another one of those "flash-in-the-pan" MTV acts that has 1 or 2 songs and then fades away into the dollar bin at Wal-Mart. She reminds me of those chicks in high school who only has guy friends, chews occasionally, and flips off her teacher for being 5 minutes late to class. She is literally a piece of trash with a tie. I know she doesn't wear the tie anymore, but that changes nothing.

3. Spin Doctors: I can't even talk about them they're so terrible. I won't even post a picture of them either. Utter garbage. I'm mad at myself for even mentioning their name again. Lindsay just told me she once went to a Spin Doctors concert. I am filing divorce papers on Monday.

4. Insane Clown Posse: As a hip-hop connoisseur I figured someone in that genre had to make the list. Believe me, it was tempting to throw out the obvious ones – Vanilla Ice, MC Hammer, Marky Mark, Fresh Prince, Shaq – but each of them at least has a song I like. When "Can't Touch This" comes on the radio {right after Nickelback} tell me you don't want to throw on the hammer pants and start dancing. And yeah right, like you didn't know the words to "Parents Just Don't Understand" and sang them under your breath when you're mom wouldn't let you go to the mall with your friends.

But come on, first of all, can you name a single song by them? No one can...yet many people hate them. They're like the Steve Guttenberg of the rap world. You can't think of single movie he's acted in besides Mahoney in the Police Academy series, but for some reason he just annoys you. Second, they're clowns. Most people can barely go to the circus for that reason. Third, and most importantly, they're simply horrific rappers. Zero talent...Scary...Ugly...Pathetic. Oh, and they even started their own professional wrestling organization. They're making a mockery of professional wrestling! Oh...wait.

5. Gin Blossoms: "Allison Road" came on at work the other day and I nearly stabbed myself in the sternum with an exacto knife.

Honorable Mention: Offspring, Roxette, Ace of Base, Celine Dion, Creed, Lance Bass.

Ok, now your turn.

24 comments:

tharker said...

Can't stand Avril Lavigne. I think she's just a punk little girl with a big attitude problem.

You're right about hearing Nickelback all the time. I think they must have a special deal with 98.3, cuz they play them ALL THE TIME!

Steve Guttenburg, was totally in Cacoon, remember? Yeah, so that's only two movies that we can name...I've never even heard of Insane Clown Posse. And yes I still remember the words to Parents just don't understand, but what can I say? I lurve me some Will Smith!

Sarah said...

I agree with you on all of them, (especially Creed and Nickleback, if I hear "Can you take me higher" one more time I will stay permanently tuned in to talk radio)except for I do like the Gin Blossoms. They remind me of high school days. I would also add to the list: Pink, Smashmouth, Mariah Carey, and Crazy Town. This post was seriously cracking my up.

Sarah said...

I meant cracking ME up. Also, another Steve Guttenburg movie- Short Circuit.

Angie said...

how can hate a group that gave us "little miss can't be wrong" and "two princes"? both catchy tunes bro. i will see your nickelback though and raise you a smashmouth (especially with that "allstar" song).

Angie said...

no.... KT TUNSTALL. technically she is not a "group" but either is Avril right? but i hate her. hate her songs. if i hear "black horse and cherry tree" one more time i may cut off my own ears.

dirty>south said...

yes on smashmouth. they didn't make the top 5, but I will have to give out an honorable mention.

Samantha said...

i hate that black horse and a cherry tree song too angie. yuck. but i will put my neck out there and say that i love avril. haha. And wasn't steve guttenburg in 3 men and a baby?

Kim said...

I HATE Nickelback. Seriously, their songs are so annoying. I get angry when I turn on the radio and their song is playing (which happens way too often)!

Now, we need to talk about your honorable mention, Celine Dion. Come on now, she's great. I love her! I am so sad that I didn't get to ever see her show in Vegas.

Yes, you are right. I couldn't tell you one song that Insane Clown Posse has. I think they are lame! And I am very proud of Angie for thinking of Smashmouth. I have very bad memories associated with that Allstar song.

amberbuck said...

Im sorry I don't know you and I don't even know how I stumbled accross your blog but I was totally laughing in agreement with Nickleback, I want to shoot myself everytime I hear that guys voice and it's true, no matter what time of day or what station, I always hear their dumb song and i'm sorry but Chris Daughtry is exactly the same so he should be on the list as well!

PRP said...

Crack me up with the Gin Blossoms and Spin Doctors! Brad and I say the same thing whenever they come on. Sucky sucksters, those two.

But Nickleback? I do likey me some Nickleback. I agre they are overplayed, but I like them. And I don't hate Avril, but I know I should.

And Guttenburg was in Zeus & Roxanne...go Netflix that bad boy.

Samantha said...

oh i have to agree with kimmy. I saw the vegas celine dion concert and it was AMAZING.

dirty>south said...

PRP: oh, so you're the one who keeps requesting them. Do you call the radio station and flirt with the DJ?

also, to clarify. I know all the movies Gutts has been in, and seen 'em all (even 3 men and a little lady). he just gets no respect.

celine dion: the list is not based on talent, which she has, just annoyance level. let's face it...titanic did nothing to make me like her more.

Marilyn said...

5 bands I want to go away:

1. Nickelback, I also can't stand them or a single song they have recorded.

2. Avril Lavigne, she's ugly and moody. Plus she can't sing well.

3. Backstreet Boys

4. Gwen Stefani - now to clarify, she does have two songs that I like, but I really want her to go back to No Doubt.

5. Kiss - never liked them, and I never will.


Guttenburg = Three Men and a Little Lady, It Takes Two

Angie said...

yeah sorry j. but add me to the list of people who like avril. i know i shouldn't but i do. and don't even mess with celine...

ashleyboice said...

I like avril tooo...i can't help it. also ACE OF BASE...come on, some of the best memories in my life center around those catchy ace of base songs. We had the tape. I saw the sign...genius.

Nancie said...

Great post! You crack me up!

Love: Ace of Base (guilty pleasure), KT, 3 men and a baby.
Hate: anything screamin hard.

meohmyers said...

So who would you give the Top 5 spots to? Just curious.

dandee said...

One word: Hinder.

Tip Junkie said...

What a funny post! As much as I admire you, I've got to dissagree. I love Nickleback and Avril. Avril and Simple Plan got me through my parents divorce 2 years ago. So they have a special place in my life;)

I'm not sure what bands I don't like. I'll have to think about this one.

Hey! I have something for you over on my site. ;)

Alicia Leppert said...

I must just be easily annoyed by bands and musicians in general because I think I hate everyone mentioned so far.

Nickleback: I do like me some Nickleback, but they are way too overplayed and all their stuff is sounding the same.

Avril: Get her the freak out of here! She is beyond annoying and claims to be anti-pop but all the eyeliner in the world cannot disguise her popness.

Spin Doctors: They were the Nickleback of '93. Every other song was "2 Princes" and I hated it then, hate it now.

Never heard of the Clowns, but I'm sure I would hate them.

Gin Blossom: annoying. "Hey Jealousy"...annoying.

I can't think of any specific bands to add, but am I alone in being sooooo sick of all the "alt-rock" bands coming out that all sound the same? Seriously, do we need any more alt-rock bands?

Alicia Leppert said...

P.S. Jared you are so freaking hilarious!

Jeremy said...

Sorry Jared I am a Avril fan

Heather said...

Wow. That was a great post- add Fergie to the list.

Corbin said...

Did everyone else miss the sting Jared paid to the Fresh Prince? Oh come now people... don't tell me that every single one of you don't know every single word to the Fresh Prince Theme Song. Shall I start it and let the rest of you finish? "In West Philadelphia, born and raised..." Need I say more? Let's give him some credit.

And Wow... I'm sickened that no one mentioned Clay Aiken. Have we all forgotten the travesty, the creepily disgusting song "Invisible". Does anyone else suspect that maybe Clay is a peeping tom? Think about it.
-Corbin