30 September, 2007

Our Weekend Getaway

Wednesday night our family headed to Seaside, OR for an extended weekend with my parents. We were a little concerned that the weather might derail the fun since the forecast showed rain showers all weekend, but it turned out to be quite nice. During the weekend, we managed to go to the aquarium, the beach to make sand castles and fly a kite, the arcade, and some of the fun little shops in town.

Carson and Kaiya loved going to the little aquarium. Sure, it's not as cool as the Seattle Aquarium which we visited this summer, but they loved having the place to themselves as they roamed about looking at all the different sea animals. Carson got to feed the seals, who slapped their bellies every time they wanted a fish thrown to them, and Kaiya LOVED the starfish and the jellyfish. Carson's favorite part was the touch tank where he was hogged all the crabs and hoped he could coerce them into "crab battles."

Luckily Thursday and Friday had nice weather so we were able to go to the beach both days. Both kids loved making sand castles and Carson wanted to run into the water. CRAZY kid! The water was freezing. Carson also was able to fly a kite for the first time. He's asked for a kite for Christmas the past few years and finally had his dream realized.

We decided to take the kids on the carousel Friday and all Kaiya could talk about was how she wanted to ride the pink pig. Carson got on his animal and when Jared went to put her on the pig, she completely freaked out, started crying, and wanted off. After watching Carson on the ride, she begged to go on the pink pig again. I decided to give her another chance so I put her on the pig again, strapped her seat belt on, and said I would hold onto her the entire time.

She immediately started crying, saying she was scared and wanted off AGAIN! I tried to coax her but she was not having any of it, so we took her off and got our money back. Wouldn't you know it, once the ride started going she went BALLISTIC and started bawling about how she wanted the pink pig. She threw the MOTHER OF ALL TEMPER TANTRUMS! It was so bad we had to take her outside. Then she kept throwing her body on the pavement so Jared had to pick her up so she wouldn't hurt herself. {I know, I'm the bad parent who actually took out the camera to take a picture of it. It took forever for her to calm down that it actually became kinda comical.} I felt bad for her though, because you could really see how much she wanted to go on it, she was just too timid.

It really was a fun weekend and great to get away. I'll just close with the fact {which will come as no surprise to our family and friends} that yes, the Bates family DID get lost on the way home today. I don't know how we do this EVERY time we go somewhere. I even wrote down directions this time. Jared missed the Jct. I-82 exit toward Hermiston and ended up driving us all the way to Pendleton! I was SO MAD!!! {That's for you, Kim and Aaron!} I drifted off and when I looked up, I saw we were almost to Pendleton. I told him that we missed our exit a good 1/2 hour before, but Jared was insistent, saying, "No, we're totally going the right way. I've totally been watching the signs." WHATEVER!!! Finally he realized that yes, we were heading towards Utah. {We've driven to and from Utah several times, so I don't know how he didn't realize we were going the wrong direction when he passed all the Hermiston exits.} He then decided that perhaps he did miss the exit sign when he was munching on all the trail mix.

SERIOUSLY...We so need a car navigation system before we kill each other.

12 comments:

PRP said...

Glad the weekend was a success....

Loved the picture of Kaiya....

Who in the halibut gets lost on the way home from Portland, on that BIG, STRAIGHT, LONG, ROAD....?

Missed you Bates!

Heather said...

Yeah, maybe Jared was trying to extend the vacation and take the family to Lehman Hot Springs.

Kris said...

That is hilarious about you guys passing the exit to come home. Too funny! Looks like you guys had a fun trip! I love going to the coast. These pictures are great!!!

dirty>south said...

okay: a) raining HARD, b) good trail mix (yeah, it had almonds), and c) trying to listen to the NFL report = side trip to Pendleton. I would have figured it out eventually, like around Burley.

bounce!

tharker said...

The picture of Kaiya is classic.

Glad you guys had fun at the beach. I can't believe that Carson got in that water! Brave kid.

Angie said...

that looks like a lot of fun. kaiya's fits kind of crack me up....poor kid.

Kim said...

I'm glad you guys had a great time. I can't believe Carson actually went in the water. We love the Jared story...I can picture you all in the car! It brings a smile to my face.

Sarah said...

Tell Jared not to feel too bad, I grew up in the Hermiston area and I still almost miss that exit at night sometimes. Loved the story about Kaiya, that's a keeper.

Jessica said...

Ha ha! I could have written that! I get lost so easy, luckly Luke knows how to get EVERYWHERE! He finally got me a GPS system for my car cause he got so sick of me calling him and asking him how to get somewhere! It is totally worth the money!

Love all the pictures. I have some great pictures of my kids throwing fits too!

Alicia Leppert said...

I have done the exact same thing!! Driving home from Portland with a girlfriend when I was 19 I sailed past the Hermiston exit, swearing I knew exactly where I was going. We were almost to Le Grande when I realized we were on our way to Utah. Needless to say, she was not a happy camper. Now I watch for that cursed exit with eagle eyes!

Brooklet said...

I love the Oregon Coast and it looks like you had fun- especially with a three year old!

And in Jared's defense, it is easy to miss that blasted exit!

melanie said...

We need navigation too. It's not pretty when one of gets lost. Doesn't matter which one. Jared's reasons are hilarious.

I think a good mom captures the tantrums on camera! We need this stuff for later on down the road. Plus it's so funny when the tantrum dies down. Especially when it's out of character.