12 September, 2007

Games Boys Play

This is the time of year when everyone waxes nostalgic about all things football. I’m in the minority. I don’t particularly care for football, and I dread a little something called FANTASY FOOTBALL!

Jared is currently in 3 football leagues { yes, read it people…3 leagues! }. This is all he’s talked about the past few weeks and it is DRIVING ME CRAZY!!!

He’d ask things like, “Who do you think I should draft in the first round – Shawn Alexander or Joseph Addai?” as if I’m supposed to A) know who these players are, and B) want to support this habit in any way. The fact that I now know both of their names shows how often he’s talked about it.

I’ve decided that fantasy football is like Dungeons and Dragons for jocks { not that there’s anything wrong with Dungeons and Dragons } or better yet … Pokemon Cards for kids. Carson is currently obsessed with Pokemon and all summer he and his friend, Tyler, have been making Pokemon card trades and having Pokemon battles. Nicole and I both agreed that while the consequences were affordable, we would not get involved and would just let the boys trade the cards themselves. Of course, being little boys, they each made a few bad trades. We had to have the talk with both of them about how good trades were when both people came out of the trade happy. During Pokemon battles, they need to be reminded to play fairly and get along.

Fantasy Football seriously brings out the little boys in guys. Suddenly the men are so super competitive, there’s all this trash talking, whispers about trades being unfair, so-and-so has a better team, blankety-blank had a lucky week, and so on and so forth. This sounds eerily similar to some of the conversations Carson and Tyler have had.

“Aaron { Jared’s Dungeon Master/League Manager } wants to trade Marshawn Lynch straight up for Drew Brees! That is so unfair. Brees is a Tier 1 quarterback and Lynch is a rookie and projected at #24 overall in running backs. He should at least give up another player for him!”

Now compare that with:

“I traded Tyler his Gengar for my Rapidash and a Pikachu. That’s totally good because Gengar has +1 Evolution and does 50 Critical Damage. He even has Mind Strafe attack.”

Now aren’t Pokemon card trades and Fantasy Football trades kind of the same thing? Aren’t Pokemon battles and weekly Fantasy football competitions the same thing as well?

You’d think with this much time and energy men put into Fantasy Football, the prize would be amazing, like a free trip or major cash involved.

Nope…just bragging rights until next year’s draft.

11 comments:

tharker said...

Just imagining your face while trying to endure all of this "boy stuff" is really funny!

You really need some girl time. It will go a little somethin like this...

"Hey, we could totally play Barbie goes to Prom. Oh, no you ditn't! That was totally MY Peaches 'N Cream Barbie and she is SO going with the blonde Ken! Here, you can have THESE." Imagine me handing you a raggady old Barbie that looks like she's just come from a Meth house and raggety old Ken. Now that's the girl version of what Carson and Jared are doing!

Kim said...

Oh Lindsay, I feel your pain. Imagine sitting in the car with Jared and Aaron while they "debate" fair trading in fantasy football for about 2 hours. No joke!! I finally made them stop talking about it. I thought I was going to go crazy.

Marilyn said...

I totally don't get how fantasy football works. I am grateful for that.

Nicole said...

You know I'm right there with you on this one Linds!

Is it bad that I am totally confused by BOTH Fantasy football AND Pokemon. Both are currently going full steam in my house, but I refuse to get educated. What was wrong with real life football?

Kimmy, that must have been one dreadful ride. I feel your pain!

Angie said...

#6 reason on the list of "good things about not having a husband".

PRP said...

I second Marilyn.

I too have no idea about either one and I will mention my gratitude for that in my prayers tonight.

melanie said...

I have a hard enough time dealing with the real sports games and all the recaps on Sportscenter. I hope Milo never gets 'invited' or whatever it takes to get involved. I'm pretty sure I could go crazy over it.

Samantha said...

HERE HERE! I had Justin, Kyle, and my dad sitting at my kitchen table with three laptops going talking draft talk. Kill me dead. Justin was even making notes and accidently left them out on the table while he went to the bathroom- he had to interrogate Kyle and dad before he was convinced that they hadn't peeked at his notes. Yikes.

Alicia Leppert said...

Tiffani, I had Meth House Barbie!

I thought I went nuts last year when Bill did F.F., but now hearing just how bad it could be, I realize it was nothin! Still, I am SO grateful he's not doing it this year. And I totally don't get either of them, either.

Brooklet said...

I love the comparison- too true! Note to self, pray that Cody never starts FF and that Claire never hears of pokemon.

dirty>south said...

should I trade Shawn Alexander for Carson Palmer straight across or do you think I need a running back?

oh...sorry. am I in the right place?