26 August, 2007

What's in a Name?

Okay, I need your help. There are 16 weeks left before the baby's born. As you all know we decided to wait to find out the baby's sex. We need to come up with BOTH a boy and a girl name. How far have we gotten? We've got ZERO possibilities.

Jared and I have a long history of bickering over baby names. I'll tell you why. I've got great taste, while Jared has - how do I put it? - WRETCHED TASTE in baby names.

His boy names are always ridiculous. Here's a few examples. He loved the name Quintarius when I was pregnant with Carson. I guess he met a little boy on his mission with that name. Maybe you can get away with it when you live in the Alabama projects, but I think a little Asian boy with that name may get beat up. He also likes the name Domino (Will he like sweet potato pie and the ghetto jam, too?), Donovan (Shane Donovan from DAYS...anyone?), Dre (According to Jared, we could say, "We forgot about Dre!" - cringeworthy, I know.)

Jared's girl names aren't much better. They are all really girly, 80's names, which is fine if you were actually born in the 80's. He likes names such as Veronica, Alexandra, and Monique. Actually, I think Jared would have gotten along really well with 7 year old Lindsay because I do believe that some of my Cabbage Patch Dolls had those names. Maybe we could name our boy Xavier Roberts.

If any of you have suggestions, feel free to post them. In fact, if we end up choosing your name, you'll get a prize. You'll be the LAST person we'll ask when we need a baby-sitter for our kids!

12 comments:

Kacey Nielsen said...

Tall order... fortunately, Jon and I have very similar problems with names. For example, he loves the name Guadalupe and Jai Yun. great names, but for our kids?!

So here's some favorite names of mine that he has put on the strike list.

For boys - Braxton, Charlie

For Girls - Sierra, Cora, Corey, Leila

Feel free to dislike all of them, but hopefully they will give you ideas!

Kim said...

Wow, if only I could come up with a name that would solve your problem. Why is Jared so weird?! I don't have any great ideas because all the names that I've loved for so long have been used by everyone. However, I've always loved Megan and Aaron hates it. That doesn't really fit you guys, though. I'll think about it.

Heather said...

You could always go with Ava... Quintarias is pretty awesome though- hard to top that!

tharker said...

Quintarius? I read the post about 5 minutes ago and I am STILL laughing!! I think Jared is confused about his nationality!!!! I guess I'm laughing so hard because I can absolutely hear Dirty South's voice saying these names so seriously. Too funny.

Since Brooke didn't go with Lily, I am still rooting for that one. I love Lily. I also like Ava. Good one Heather.

Angie said...

you can always just watch mtv and get a name from there....it seems to work with our family right?

Mandi said...

That's too funny. Collin gave the axe to all the names I like, and his names were ususally boring. He's getting his (Makenna) only b/c I promised if Marlee could be Marlee, our next girl would be Makenna....promises promises. At least it is one of the better ones! Good luck!

shoeaddict said...

I love Marlee!

Do you wanna stay with the "C/K" sound?

Girls-Kiera, Kalee, Kate, Lily, Audrey, Korrie

Boys- Carter, Cameron, Collin, Madden, Landon, Hudson, Thomas

I put some that had that same beginning sound and then just some that I like.

melanie said...

We have the same debates. We do know it is another boy and we're excited it's just getting hard to name them. I'm just not even sure what I like anymore. The other night I was surfing name websites and I came up with nothing! Not even one name. It would be torture around here if we had to think of both names waiting for the birth.

The 7 yr old comment is hilarious. That had me laughing all night.

ashleyboice said...

Boy names for me are super hard...that is why in the end Robbie is Robert Owen boice after Cortney's parents Roberta and Robert. It was too hard to come up with something we loved so we just decided to come up of a name of people we loved. At least it means something.

Erin said...

i remember when we were thinking of names before we knew jade was a girl and joe wanted to name the baby (if it was a boy), maximus after the movie Gladiator - UGH! and he also liked tarzan - what?? his parents had a dog named tarzan...men are so weird!! luckily i came up with both babies names and he liked them...thank goodness!

::lindsay said...

thanks for your suggestions, but Jared's too weird so we're still at square one. if you can think of any other names let me know.

shoeaddict said...

Girls-Corinne, Anna, Kyla

Boys- Samuel, Gregory, Logan, Mason