Carson is in 6th grade this year, and I think this was harder for me than when he started Kindergarten! It really hit home that he is growing up. We are entering a new phase and while he is super pumped and excited, for me, it really is bittersweet. Luckily, he is an awesome kid with a good head on his shoulders and I know that he if going to love it.
Here he is in all his 6th grade glory:
I've always driven him to school, so now he is riding the bus. On this first day, he made me take pictures of him super early, because he didn't want to take the chance that other kids would be walking to the bus stop and see his mom taking a million pictures of him.
Ha! He didn't know it, but I totally took a picture of him walking to the bus stop!
And here is sweet Kaiya:
She is in 2nd grade now. She has Mrs. Smith again for her teacher and is thrilled. Mrs. Smith moved up to 2nd grade and took her whole class with her! Kaiya was super pumped to have all the same kids in her class as last year, especially since she has several great friends in there. I was happy because it made the transition for this school year easy and anxiety-free! Hooray!
Someone wasn't so excited about the beginning of the school year though...
She didn't like the fact that brother and sister were leaving and yet her school doesn't start until after Labor Day....
I was so anxious all day to hear how my little chicks did on their first day. This year, it was Carson I was most anxious to hear from. I knew Kaiya was in extremely competent hands! When Carson came home, he was just bursting with excitement. The first day had gone really well. He loves his new teachers. One of his best friends, Jacob, is in 5 out of 6 classes with him, which he loves. At lunchtime, he said that it was so cool because all the LDS kids sit together at lunch. That has been happening everyday. He also has been meeting new kids in his class and it's been fun to hear some new names of kids he's hanging out with. He's branching out and broadening his horizons, which is one of the great benefits of middle school.
When I asked him about some of his favorite things about middle school so far, he replied that he was super excited to have his own locker. Not every 6th grader gets a locker--only the ones that are in the building. And so far he said, "I've been checking everyday and so far I don't have to share!" Like that was the greatest thing on Earth! He also already learned that getting school lunch was NOT where it was at. He said, "I felt so bad for Jacob because he had to stand in line for 20 minutes to get his food and by the time he ate, he couldn't even play basketball! I'm bringing my lunch everyday!" You know Carson probably inhales his food whole in like 2 minutes to get out there to play!
We've only had one issue with middle school so far, which was the bus. He came home the second day and said that he had heard the F-word at least 30 times, which he didn't like at all. Luckily, there is another bus stop close by, which is for another bus altogether, so we had him try that one the next day. He was all smiles when he got home the next day because he said it was a million times better! Yea!
Kaiya came home from school and was so excited to be back in the swing of things. It was like she'd never left. I love it!
I think it's going to be a great year for the kids.

No comments:
Post a Comment