26 September, 2011

Kaiya's Surprise Party!

Nothing's better than pulling off a good surprise. And boy, did we pull off a good one!

For Kaiya's birthday this year, I decided to throw her a surprise party a few weeks early. Kaiya had been to her first surprise party about 4 months earlier and thought it was the most fantastic thing ever. She even asked me, "Can my next party be a surprise party?" I thought to myself that this was funny for 2 reasons. A---If you ask for a surprise party, it is no longer a surprise, thus making the surprise part null & void.  And B---For a little girl who has major issues with people looking at her and being the center of attention, this seems like it would be contrary to what she'd want.

Whatever.

Anyhoo, because we were actually going to be traveling to Disneyland on her actual birthday and with school also starting the week of her birthday, I just thought we'd have her party on the week before that, so we could have good attendance and also making sure that she'd be really surprised. After all who's gonna think about a possible party a good two weeks before the big day?!

I had Kaiya go on some special one-on-one time with her Daddy. Meanwhile all her little friends came over---on time no less! That seriously has to be like a Mormon first to have every single person on time or early for the party.

Once they all arrived I had them go to the backyard and hold signs waiting for her to come. Here it is:


Don't the girls look super cute! They were all excited waiting for her to arrive. 
I was a little nervous about Kaiya's arrival. Even though she at one time had expressed a desire for a surprise party, would she really like it? Or would she be mortified and start crying? I had no idea. 

Finally Kaiya and Jared arrived. He told her that there was a surprise in the backyard for her and so he had her eyes covered. She opened them as soon as she got into the backyard. All the girls shouted, "Surprise! Happy Birthday Kaiya!" 

It was actually kinda funny to see her reaction. She looked completely surprised and bewildered. She warmed up super quickly and you could tell she was happy.

The general theme of the evening was "Kaiya's favorite things", so I first served them a dinner of spaghetti, corn, and bread. Then we made beaded bracelets. After bracelets, I had made them all cupcakes that they got to frost and decorate themselves. The bracelets and cupcakes were a hit!


Here's the birthday girl with her cupcake she decorated herself. Time to make a wish, sweet Kaiya!


Here's a pic of Kaiya and all her friends:


Opening presents:


Her new Hello Kitty press on nails. They were a riot!


After the party, Kaiya said to me, "That was the best birthday ever, Mom! Thank you so much! Can I have a surprise party next year?"

2 comments:

Kim said...

I think it's great that she asked for a surprise party, and it worked!

tharker said...

She looks so happy, it's clear that she loved it!!