01 March, 2011

Love Bugs

We currently have a little bit of a bug around this ol' house....that is the kids have been bitten by the "love bug"!

I think they have their first little "crushes". Sheesh. I'm just too young for this!

About a month ago I subbed in Carson's classroom, when much to my surprise, the BOYS in the classroom passed notes to each other CONSTANTLY---it was like watching a bunch of teenage girls! Well, apparently amongst other things, these notes consist of asking the other person who they like, or talking about who is cute.

What?!

I know. Kinda crazy. I was thinking that this was all way too young, after all, it was an embarrassingly long time before I even cared about boys {that's a story for another time though}. I mean, Carson has never even paid attention to girls before, but now there's a girl that he "likes" and thinks is "cute".

Yep, that just blew my mind, folks!

I asked him, "What does it mean to like someone?" He responded that liking someone means that you stare at them and that sometimes you play the same thing at recess together. Phew! Ok, so that brought my anxiety level down a few notches. I thought to myself, "I can handle that."

So fast forward to Saturday. Carson had a competition in Spokane and we carpooled with the Olsons. Jacob and Carson started talking about girls and all the adults in the car were rolling with laughter. Jacob and Carson were getting all embarrassed and GIGGLING like a bunch of girls. It was hilarious! Apparently, Jacob likes a girl from his class and she likes him back. Then I asked Carson about the girl he liked. The conversation went down like this:

Me: So does she like you back?

Jacob: Nope.

Carson: She's lying.

Jacob: We asked her and her friends and they said no.
Carson: *cough*LYING*cough* {that was such a Jared thing to do. We were all laughing so hard!}

Me: Well, why do you think she's lying?

Carson: She like stares at me ALL THE TIME! Come on!

Hahahahahahahaha! We were all dying! It was so funny!

Well, Carson just got the part of the "Godfather of Soul" James Brown in his Spring Music Program---If that doesn't catch this girl's attention, nothing will!

********

Now Kaiya, on the other hand....that girl worries me a little....

The other day Jared and Kaiya had a conversation like this:

Kaiya: 5 boys chased me today at recess. Is that a lot?

Jared: ........

Oh, and I've had a few moms say that their sons have crushes on Kaiya. One little boy has even been enamored with her since preschool and even kissed her in preschool.

You know, for someone who doesn't talk, she sure gets around! :)

But, now Kaiya has her first crush....

Let's just say that she has "Bieber Fever" and has made a "Belieber" out of Chloe!

I don't know what it is about that kid with a mop for hair, but little girls and tweens just love him! Don't get me wrong, I secretly like "Baby" and sing and dance to it just as fervently as my little girls, but come on!

Kaiya sings some of his songs, and thinks he's soooo cute. She says that she wants to get his T-shirt, but having a T-shirt splattered with his mug is about as appealing to me as character clothing.

Jared said that Justin was dating Selena Gomez and I swear Kaiya's face fell. This was so wrong to me on several levels. A---that Kaiya, my SIX year old, was disappointed, because she's too young for all this business. And B---that Jared knew Justin was dating Selena Gomez in the first place!

Anyways, Kaiya talks about Justin Bieber enough that even Chloe, the other day at ballet, upon seeing a boy with long hair, said, "Look Dad! It's Justin Bieber!" Why my 3 year old should know and talk about Justin Bieber is just beyond crazy to me.

So there you have it---something must be in the air right now---I have a feeling though, this is only the beginning!

Update: While putting Kaiya to bed tonight, she said, "So, guess what. I have like 6 boys chase me at recess. I can't believe it! That's a lot and I'm only in Kindergarten! And sometimes they wait for me and I think, 'don't you have something else to do?' But, guess what. They can't ever catch me!"

Yep, this girl is gonna give me a run for my money. Please stay 6 forever....

9 comments:

PRP said...

Spence is right there with Carson...it KILLS me. It's so strange when girls become GIRLS, right?

And Kaiya and Chloe were talking about the Biebs all day Saturday. They watched him on YouTube way more than I should have allowed. I love it.

duke of earl said...

I actually would have been surprised if Jared didn't know who Bieber is dating...he seems to have unlimited capacity for unconventional knowledge like that...you know, the important stuff.

Anonymous said...

Eeeeek! It does get scarier Lindsay. I almost wish my girl liked bieber but no, she's been an Edward girl right along side her mom. Wait til you hear about so-and-so going out with so-and-so....that's a "say what?" moment!

Kim said...

Not trying to brag or anything, but I was pretty popular in the elementary school. (That was a joke for Alysha...who I'm sure will read this in a month...and Ang!) Fourth grade was when I first "went out" with a boy. I was a dating machine until middle school. Ha ha!

I love that Carson is noticing girls. Now we have something more to tease him about!

Have you taken Kaiya to see the Bieber movie?? Elsie saw the commercial for it the other day and said she wanted to see it. I was tempted, not gonna lie, but Aaron vetoed that!

tharker said...

I love that Carson's response to what it means to like someone is when you stare at them. Love it!!

I would love to say that I don't know anything about this, but unfortunately, Hannah has had more than a few crushes. She tells me right now, that she's taking a break from boys...to focus on her writing....WHO IS THIS KID?!!! She cracks me up!

I love me some "Baby" too. It's okay.

Sarah said...

Riley has a kid on their high school soccer team that looks just like Justin Beiber. They call him that all the time. That is too funny that she acted dissapointed when Jared said he was going out with Selena Gomez. Oh my goodness! And Carson saying that girl must be lying that she didn't like him totally made me laugh! The whole grade school crush thing just always cracks me up.

Angie said...

3rd to 5th grade is still my longest relationship....good luck!

AOlson said...

That definatly was the best car ride EVER! My side hurt from laughing!! Those boys were so funny! It's no denying that Jacob has had a crush for a long time, but it's comforting to know that "liking" someone just means you stare at them and they stare at you and you play the same games at recess. What will we ever do with those two.

And for the record, I have Bieber fever. I think he's a cutie and I enjoyed the movie when I took the kids to watch it and we listen to his CD in the car. I am not ashamed. But then again this is the almost 34 year old woman who has tickets to a NKOTB concert in July, soo...

dandee said...

Oh Kaiya, she's so cute the boys just can't help themselves!

Easton was telling me how "going out" is becoming a hot topic on the playground. Luckily, he said his class isn't too interested in that. It's probably because more than half of them have been in the same class since Kinder. They treat one another like siblings. I'm sure it will be ending soon though. I'll have to call you for tips. :)