02 February, 2011

Kids' Rooms

As I mentioned in an earlier post, I actually did some crafting and made a few things and "decorated" somewhat in my kids' bedrooms.

For Carson's room, I painted his walls a gray blue color. This is how it turned out:


I had some great ideas in my head of other things I would do to decorate and seriously like 5 minutes after the paint dried, I came in to see this:

Carson received a Tron poster for his birthday from one of his friends and decided that it would be awesome to put up on his freshly painted walls along with his glow-in-the-dark states poster. I tried to convince him it would look awesome inside his closet or on the back of his door, but it fell on deaf ears.

Therefore, I thought, "Okay....and now I'm SO done with decorating in your room!" Like some snobby designer you see on television, I was like, "I can't work with this!"

Kaiya's room on the other hand, has been decorated for like a year or so. She was very proud of the fact that her room was the only decorated room in the house. It was very important to me that her room be "All Kaiya". She got to pick out her own paint color which she LOVED. She was adamant about the bright pink walls and since it's so hard for her to have a voice on anything, I was excited to do it for her. I mean, sure the walls are pepto pink and yes they do emanate a pink glow in the hallway outside her room, but Kaiya loves it and consistently STILL thanks me for painting her walls pink. SO TOTALLY WORTH IT!

Here's her room:

The pictures really don't do the bed justice at all. The bedding is super adorable. It's from that Liberty of London line from Target last year and the bed frame is from IKEA.

Her favorite thing is probably the chandelier light. My favorite thing {besides the bedding} is the little print Jared made for her on her photo wall that says, "I can do hard things." I wanted her to have a reminder and see every day that yes, she CAN do it!!!!


So at this point, you're probably like, "Well that's fine and all, but I thought you actually made something..."

I really needed some sort of window treatment, and I didn't want long curtains because she and her sister play right by the window all the time. I knew that long curtains would get pulled down in no time at all, so therefore decided to make a valance for the window.

See?


Here's a closer picture. I know, I have no photography skill whatsoever.


The white material is cuter in person. It's this cute eyelet type design on it, but you can't really see the detail in the picture. I had some extra material of her bedding because the bedding came in a material bag. I made the ruffle out of that. Then I made some rolled flowers and attached green felt leaves on it. I was happy with the results because I am by no means a seamstress and even though it was really just sewing a rectangle, rectangles can be hard to sew if your challenged in the sewing department like I am! Seriously, you would have thought I just cured cancer with how proud I was that it was actually presentable enough to hang up.

Along with painting Carson's room, I painted Chloe's room as well. Her favorite colors that she is obsessed with are purple and green. I bought her a new bedspread at target and then painted her room a pretty shade of lavender.

I decided to hang up green curtains because after I painted the walls purple, she was asking for green things in her room. The green curtains were actually too short, so I actually ripped the hem out of the curtains and resewed them so they'd be longer! Again, that was like sewing miracle number two! Then I decided to make some cute flower tie-backs.

Her wall was really empty so then I decided I wanted to put a tree on the wall. Because I'm fickle and get sick of things pretty easily and impatient---I wanted a tree on the wall immediately, I decided to try my hand at making my own tree. I remember a friend saying she had used contact paper instead of using vinyl on the wall. I thought to myself that since contact paper is only 5 bucks, I had nothing to lose. Sure, the tree I made isn't as cool as a vinyl tree would have been, but it was 5 bucks and I can take it down when I get sick of the tree, as contact paper comes off really easily.

Here's a picture of the purple walls, tree and curtains with the tie-backs:



A close-up of the tree:

Contact paper is really forgiving on the wall. If you don't like where you put something, you can reposition it. Crazy part is, I still have a bunch of contact paper left on the roll! I even made some birds out of cardstock.


Here's a closer up of the window with the tie-backs:


My little helper wanted to model them for you:

Chloe's room is not finished yet, since I still need to put things on the wall, but I'll post them when I'm finished.

19 comments:

Heather said...

whoa... beyond impressed. you pulled out all the stops on this one. contact paper- who knew?? I love it all, even the tron poster.

A Bug's Life said...

Holy smokes Linds. it all looks so fantastic. Makes me feel pretty lame-o. That tree is amazing...someday maybe I'll decorate. But I doubt it. he. he. daishan

Debie Spurgeon said...

At least the poster is straight. Everything is so adorable,the tree is amazing. I love seeing others creativity, it inspires me to think of new ideas. (or copy them)

Sarah said...

I'm really impressed! Everything looks great. Good job with the curtains and the adorable tree. I love it! I don't think I could make any tree branches look that good.

Betsy said...

So cute, I especially love Chloe's room.

tharker said...

I LOVE the tree! When you described it to me, you did not give yourself near enough credit. It looks amazing, Linds!

Kaiya's valance turned out so cute! I love the ruffle and the flowers, and especially the little scalloped edge. You should be proud!!

Looks like Carson and Josh have the same decorating style ;)

Myca said...

Oh my goodness. SO. CUTE. I love love the girls room!

Julie said...

holy cow girl! Their rooms look amazing! I love the tree. I really want to do something like that in one of my girls room so I may be asking you to come and help me! :) I loved the curtain pull backs also! I might have to steal that idea from you too!

Unknown said...

SO cute! Ivy has been saying her favorite color is purple lately too. I think its a side effect of Tangled.
See you can totally decorate. Love the flower pullbacks too!

Cathy said...

I'm so glad you posted! I saw this in person people, and it is even more impressive! Seriously-that tree is amazing, I can't believe you just free handed it. And I'm so impressed with your sewing skills, being a fellow non-sewer I know how huge it is. Talent, that's all I got to say, u got talent.

Unknown said...

Hello Mrs.Crafty where have you been all my "craft night" life? :) I completely love...well, what everyone else said they loved. How do you apply the contact paper? I'd never heard of that either. So cool! Great job girl!!

Kim said...

Love them!! You did a great job. Your tree is seriously awesome. There is no way I could do that.

Carson's Tron poster isn't so bad. When I was going through my fifth-grade hard rock phase, I had a "Poison" poster on my wall. That's classy!

cate create said...

Wow! The tree is amazing! I am totally impressed! I love the curtain valance you made too. All of your kids rooms are so cute. I laughed at the Tron poster......I gave up a long time ago with my boys' room.

Lisa said...

I'm so impressed! I love Chloe's curtain tie backs- and the tree- wow!

AOlson said...

You never cease to amaze me my friend!! You are so frickin good at all you do!! Everyones room is so nice and looks just like them. Im glad your projects are done so you can come help me with mine in a couple months:)

Melanie said...

I love these rooms! I did a triple-take on that tree. I am really impressed. I absolutely love special touches you added to the window treatments. You are terribly creative! :)

Cajsa said...

Don't you just love boys. That's when a nice big bulletin board comes in handy. They can tack anything they want on those things and you don't have a million holes in the wall...and next time...don't invite "poster boy" to the party! Just kidding. The girls' rooms look absolutely adorable. You have girls with good taste. Unfortunately my daughters tastes are over at Pottery Barn! Can't argue with that, only the prices.

Ben and Alissa said...

You pulled me out of the woodwork to comment because of that tree. Holy smokes! It is amazing!

duke of earl said...

Fantastic work.