And come on, isn't he just a cute kid?!
::Swimming::
This summer was all about swim team! This was Carson's 3rd summer of swim team and he loved it! He got a pair of the racing jammers and thought he was like hot stuff wearing them. It was funny. His favorite stroke this summer was freestyle and consistently swam the 50 yd freestyle, and 100 yd IM. He really improved a lot throughout the summer and his favorite moment was during the first swim meet. He was able to participate in the last leg of the 200 yd relay. Their team was like crazy behind {maybe 2/3 length of the pool behind? I don't know, I wasn't there.} and he was able to come from behind and win the relay race. The way he tells it, it was seriously like his "Michael Phelps" moment and made him so happy.
Here's a few pictures---Getting ready to race:
His annoyed look that I'm wanting to take a picture of him:

::First Triathlon::
As I type, I realize that I already did a post about this. I was just so proud of him for doing this. It was fun and he said he definitely wants to do it again.

::Soccer::
So I just realized that I did NOT take a single picture of the soccer season. How LAME of me, especially since I feel like Fall at our house is all about soccer. Jared coached Carson's team again, along with Coach Chris. They also had a bunch of new kids on the team again who had never played soccer. But, they also had a few returning kids too. It was a good season, all in all. There was many a game where they got the pants beat off them, but there was some really good games too. The kids had a blast which is the most important part and they improved alot too. After watching the World Cup this summer religiously with Jared, Carson ascertained that it was "Good to pass." Jared was like, "Yeah, so World Cup taught you that, huh?! Not your dad and coach who's been telling you that for 2 years?!"
::School::
4th grade has been awesome for Carson. He loves his teacher, Mrs. V., this year and I love how excited he's been to learn. While his interest in AR has waned this year, it's been replaced with his love of the ABC journal they work in every week. Starting with the letter A and going through the alphabet, each week they research a person and a place that starts with the letter and write like a paragraph about each and then they have to find pictures of things that start with that letter. Carson thinks it's like the coolest assignment ever.
He also loves that they have class jobs and a currency system in the classroom. Each month they have a job and get a salary at the end of the month. The first month he was so pumped to be the police officer in the classroom. Apparently the police officer gets to report infractions in the class, which is right up Carson's alley, since he's such a rule follower. The first day of his "job" he was able to fine like 3 students {who were also his friends, mind you--guess I don't have to worry about him giving his friends special favors--sheesh...}. After the end of the month, they get to spend their salaries at "Buy & Sell" where the kids bring things to sell and also buy things from others. He's come home with some fun stuff. He's just dreading when he becomes the sanitation worker though, because you know what a germaphobe that kid is.
Jared and I recently attending his parent/teacher conference the other day. It was so nice to have a conversation with Mrs. V. She told us some funny stories that were so totally "Carson" that it made us laugh.
Apparently, she has a policy that if you get below and 88% on a math test, you have the opportunity to be retaught the material and then retake the test to get up to an 88%. Well, Carson didn't do as well on his test as he wanted and told her, "I will be retaking the test." She said that she couldn't remember what he'd gotten so she looked it up and it was a 94%. She then told him how it was for those who got below an 88%. He then looked at her and said, "I will be retaking the test." Oh my goodness. The kid is such a perfectionist! We were laughing because that story totally exemplifies who he is to a T.
Another story she told was how she was going over with the kids about writing and then she said something to the effect of, "The best thing you can do...." She said that she immediately saw Carson whip his head around to pay attention to her at the sound of "BEST"---because we know what an attention grabber that word is for him. Then she said she kicked herself for saying it because after she finished that sentence, she still had plenty more sage advice in regards to writing, but he was no longer paying attention, because she had already given the "best" advice!
She then told another story that highlighted his sense of humor and upon hearing those stories, it made me feel like she really "got" Carson, and who he is, both his strengths and weaknesses. She said she was really working with him on cooperation {because really, isn't he bossiness personified?!} and that he's been improving sooo much since the beginning of the school year. Yea!!!! That's a huge victory in an of itself. It made me so happy to know that she was really working with him on the things that he struggles with.
::Scouts::
Carson finally earned his Bear! Hooray! He actually completed his requirements for his Bear in time for the July Pack Meeting. Cub Scout Camp really lit a fire under him, and he hustled to get all of his requirements finished. Unfortunately, at the July Pack Meeting, he was not able to get his Bear, due to there not being any at the Scout Office.
Here's a picture of him getting his awards at Pack Meeting in July. Notice the ticked off look on his face---He just realized he wasn't getting his Bear....
So here's the funny part about this picture. Apparently, Jared was waiting to take a good picture of Carson and I and expected me to give him a hug...because after all this is a big accomplishment and photo worthy material. Instead, I just immediately sat down.
Jared and Brother Ruiz were laughing and totally making fun of me. What kind of Mom does that?! Where was the sweet embrace? The picture of us posing together? Brother Ruiz was like, "That was cold, Sister B!"
So then I had Carson come up and had a "do over" picture. Awww.....look at that sweet moment....
The other day our home teacher came over and during the lesson he asked Carson if he knew the story of Moroni and Zerahemna and if he did to explain all about it. I was thinking in my head, "Uhhhh......what was that again...oh crap....hope he doesn't ask me next after Carson says he doesn't know it." Much to my surprise though, Carson totally was like, "Yeah, I know it." and then went on to give a very detailed explanation. Totally blew my socks off because none of that is due to me, but due to the great kid HE is.
I always marvel at how much we as parents learn from our children every single day and how they are examples to us. That is exactly how I feel about Carson. I'm so glad he's my first born son!
Love you Carson!
3 comments:
Oh my gosh, the pinning moment is HILARIOUS! Love that you did a do over!!
I just love Carson! He is such a great kid. Yes, much of that is simply because of who he is, but he is able to reach his amazing potential BECAUSE of you and Jared. You are such wonderful parents!
i LOVE his comments from the teacher...so so carson. Man, that kid is so funny.
You really should also mention, what great older cousin he is. He does so good with all those girls, and takes such good care of them. Q just loves him.
This is a great update on Carson. Makes me sad that Tyler is missing out on such a great 4th grade teacher....! He's been busy Lindsay. You are a great mom to do so much for and with him!
Post a Comment