All through Kaiya's preschool year we had been working on her selective mutism and helping her move up the "conversational ladder". I'm completely convinced that Miss Molly, Kaiya's preschool teacher, is an angel walking the earth. She was so patient with Kaiya and with me, for that matter, in trying new techniques to better help her. Throughout the preschool year, we would pass a writing journal back and forth, then moved to video messages, established playdates with Miss Molly after school hours, had conversational visits to the school where she and I played in the preschool room and slowly brought Miss Molly in, when finally in March, we had a huge break through. She talked to Miss Molly on the phone!
Once Kaiya was able to talk to Miss Molly on the phone, we were able to quickly progress to the point that she finally talked to Miss Molly in person. That day is seriously so special to me. Miss Molly and Kaiya had talked on the phone previously and established that if Kaiya talked to Miss Molly in person, she would take Kaiya to eat. When I was dropping Kaiya off to school, Miss Molly came to the van and Kaiya was getting so nervous and I just thought to myself, "There is no way she's going to do this today." Molly asked Kaiya if she wanted to go to eat and Kaiya, after a little encouragement from Molly, said "Yes." One word, three little letters, but I was overjoyed. She went in to school with Miss Molly and I just sobbed. I was so happy.
Later after preschool {it's been so long that I can't remember if it was the same day or the next preschool day}, Kaiya and I were having another visit to the school and Kaiya started talking to Molly on my cell phone to her phone. Kaiya was outside and Molly was inside. Within that conversation, Molly was able to move from the inside of her house to the outside and we finally got Kaiya to talk to her in person! It may not seem like that big of a deal, but honestly people have no idea. This was such an enormous, monumental breakthrough.
Kaiya, up to this point, was talking to absolutely NO adults outside of Jared, Me, Angie, Kim, Aaron, & Mitch. And kids weren't much better. She only talks to a very small handful of children. She was in the same preschool class of 10 for 2 years and only ever talked to 2 of them.
I will forever be grateful to Molly because she really gave Kaiya a gift. She helped Kaiya break down some walls and realize that yes, people can be safe to talk to, you won't be destroyed, and it's okay. I honestly felt that day like I witnessed a miracle and it was such an example to me of how Heavenly Father does work through others. I'd prayed so often and so long for this one little thing to happen and my prayer was being answered. It made me reflect and think, "Do I go out of my way to help others and be an instrument in the Lord's hands?" I know I could be so much better than I am at that. It made me have a desire to want to "pay it forward".
Even though Kaiya talked to Miss Molly, it's not like the floodgates opened and all of a sudden she started talking to everyone. No, no, no. I wish. It's been a long process and will continue to be a slow process, but at least we are making progress!
After talking to Miss Molly, I really continued to work with Kaiya on opening up and talking to other people. Using various different techniques listed above, Kaiya has slowly started to talk to different people face-to-face---Tiffani, McKenzie, Nicole, Melanie from church {I know, go figure}, and a few others on the phone.
Summer was nice because it was wonderful to get a reprieve from all that stuff. It truly was nice to get a break from it a bit. I feel like I put so much into this. That being said, even though there was a break, I was also worried sick all summer about Kaiya starting Kindergarten.
I knew that being confronted with social situations everyday could be a great thing, but I just had so many worries. My biggest fear was that since she is so obedient and good, that she would just get constantly overlooked because she's not acting out or anything. Then it would be her silent as could be, just getting ignored all year.
Heavenly Father has been really looking out for her though. We got the teacher that we requested and Miss M. is terrific! She really went out of her way this summer to forge a relationship with Kaiya. During the last week of school, Miss Molly took Kaiya and they visited Miss M's classroom. Then another day Miss Molly, Kaiya, and Miss M. all went out to lunch together. Miss M. gave Kaiya a friendship bracelet, which I thought was so nice because Kaiya lit up like a Christmas tree. Miss M. also gave Kaiya her email address and cell phone number so they could communicate all summer long. Seriously so wonderful, huh! Miss M. took Kaiya out to lunch, she took her out to ice cream, and she even came to our house! Slowly but surely, Kaiya got more comfortable with her and we eventually got her to the point that she started speaking to Miss M. face-to-face. This was a big victory and really made it so the beginning of the Kindergarten year wouldn't be so intimidating--for her and me.
I just love this little girl so much. You seriously won't find a girl sweeter. I sincerely hope that this year will be a year of tremendous growth for her. She's so special.
Heavenly Father has been really looking out for her though. We got the teacher that we requested and Miss M. is terrific! She really went out of her way this summer to forge a relationship with Kaiya. During the last week of school, Miss Molly took Kaiya and they visited Miss M's classroom. Then another day Miss Molly, Kaiya, and Miss M. all went out to lunch together. Miss M. gave Kaiya a friendship bracelet, which I thought was so nice because Kaiya lit up like a Christmas tree. Miss M. also gave Kaiya her email address and cell phone number so they could communicate all summer long. Seriously so wonderful, huh! Miss M. took Kaiya out to lunch, she took her out to ice cream, and she even came to our house! Slowly but surely, Kaiya got more comfortable with her and we eventually got her to the point that she started speaking to Miss M. face-to-face. This was a big victory and really made it so the beginning of the Kindergarten year wouldn't be so intimidating--for her and me.
I just love this little girl so much. You seriously won't find a girl sweeter. I sincerely hope that this year will be a year of tremendous growth for her. She's so special.
2 comments:
She is such a sweet girl. I like what you said about wondering if you were doing all you could to be in instrument in the Lord's hand as well. That is something really good to think about it. That is so wonderful to hear of great teachers who will go out of their way to help a child.
I think it's just amazing how much Kaiya was able to move forward and overcome something so big and scary for her. We have some of the best teachers around at Livingston, I'm convinced of it. And I think you're amazing, Lindsay...to keep trying so hard to help your daughter get through something and not just let it be. Being an advocate for a child who struggles has never been easy for me. That push and pull of wanting to help them, but not control and pad their entire lives. The agony of knowing whether you're making it worse or better. I really admire how much effort you've put into acknowledging her struggles and yet, continuing to be positive and move forward. Every little step means so much, even when it seems like they take ten steps back for every one forward.
Post a Comment