04 December, 2009

I Hate Baking

Last night for our Relief Society Christmas Activity, I signed up to make a cheesecake. Never having made a cheesecake before, I thought, "Yeah, I can totally do this. How hard can it be?"

Well, apparently, I didn't factor in the "Lindsay incompetence factor" because the cheesecake was a total baking-fail.

It started with getting the "Chocolate Caramel Cheesecake" recipe off of Smitten Kitchen. There were tons of good reviews for it and I thought I'd give it a go, brushing aside the fact that I'd never made a cheesecake before, never made real caramel before, and am a self-proclaimed mediocre baker.

I started melting the sugar to make the caramel at about 9 PM and it didn't turn out right. It had sugar lumps in it and was overcooked. It completely stuck to my brand new pot and I couldn't get it off with soaking it. I finally had to chisel it off with a knife. Really, can you think of a better way to break in a new pot?

I thought, "No problem. I will totally just start over." Well, the second time was absolutely disastrous because it was so lumpy that it totally resembled popcorn chicken. Seriously. Jared came in and I showed him and he was like, "Yeah, it totally looks like popcorn chicken. I mean a really yummy looking popcorn chicken, but not caramel." ARGHHHH!!!!!!

After throwing a supersized temper tantrum due to my utter incompetence, I then started again for the third time to do the first step in this whole cheesecake-making process. Lo and behold, it actually turned out. Then I was able to finish making the cheesecake.

It was finally time to bake that sucker. I was told to put it in a waterbath, as cheesecakes are prone to cracking. I stuck it in the oven, let it bake a good 10 extra minutes and then I took it out when it looked done. It said to take it out when the cake was completely cooked 3 inches from the edge and just a smidge wobbly in the middle. I looked at my own cheesecake and it displayed exactly those qualities, and I thought, "Great! I did it! Who cares that it's 1:30 AM in the morning. I've just made high-quality delectable goodness!"

Fast forward to the next evening, about an hour before the Relief Society Activity. I took said cheesecake out of the refrigerator and I just had this feeling to cut into it. I know. Totally ghetto to bring a cheesecake with a little slice taken out of it. But, I say better that then giving the entire Relief Society salmonella poisoning. Anyhoo, I nervously took it out and cut off a slice. It was TOTALLY RAW IN THE MIDDLE. I literally had flashbacks to the Belle cake of '08, when it spilled out on to the counter. Sure it was cooked like a 1/2 inch from the top and sides, but then the whole middle was pudding-like. BLECH!!!

After cursing the baking gods, I then ran to Yokes and bought myself a cheesecake.

Clearly, I am not a baker.

10 comments:

PRP said...

"A" for effort, right?

My cheesecakes weren't all that great either so don't feel too bad. At least the rest of the night was success!

Ben and Alissa said...

Sorry it didn't work out. That's so frustrating!

I've enjoyed reading your last several posts! Glad you're back and swine flu-less.

Heather said...

Oh man.... at least we know you could conjure up a really good popcorn chicken display!

cwc1885 said...

thanks for helping me this week!
Craig Colerman

I'll clear the cache

Cathy said...

The evening turned out great. And now you know that you never want to make carmel or cheesecake again:)

hatch said...

This sounds like a story out of my kitchen.

Same kind of stuff always happens. I can cook, but cannot bake.

Sorry it did not come together, rest assured girl, you have lots of talents. :)

tharker said...

My favorite part is Jared's reassuring words that if you were striving to make popcorn chicken, then you totally succeeded!

Peggy Dee said...

I can't believe you gave it three tries. You are my hero!

Earl Family said...

So funny. So, so funny.

Lovely Lindsay said...

big props to you for attempting a recipe that required a bath. that's nuts. did it atleast smell good?! love, lindsay