23 June, 2009

Father's Day '09

Do any of you remember that episode of the Cosby Show where Cliff complains how no one gives fathers what they really want or need for Father's Day? In the episode, he digs out a box of gifts the children have given him over the years and shows off an array of ties, belts and hats that light up. He walks around the house in the tacky clothing and asks the children to put some thought into their gifts the next time Father's Day comes around.

Well, I'm a little embarrassed to say that is the way it is around here come every Father's Day holiday. Jared is a rock star Dad on Mother's Day and always works with the kids on my annual Mother's Day book. Not only do I get my special book, but they always pull out all the stops with letting me sleep in, making me breakfast, having a special dinner, doing the dishes, cleaning the house the Saturday before, and so on and so forth. Jared on the other hand, gets to sleep in {kind of}, usually gets a big breakfast, but then I'm running so late I need extra help getting all the kids ready for church, and don't even get me started on the gift. I'm usually a pretty good gift giver for him, but for some reason I always am a little bit ghetto with Father's Day. The gift is usually some last minute something I find at Walmart the Saturday before and then the kids slop together some homemade card which was feverishly made right when I say, "Just a minute, Jared. You sit on the couch, and we're going upstairs to go get your gift. It'll be just a second."

This year, he'd had enough. In true Cliff Huxtable style, Jared then stated how he wanted Father's Day to be just a little less ghetto and maybe he could get a book made by the kids for Father's Day.

This year we delivered.

Jared woke up to a breakfast which consisted of: ham, mushroom and cheese omelet, hashbrowns, bacon and orange juice.

After church, we went to a friend's house to have a yummy Mexican feast and Mudpie for dessert. Yummy food+me not having to make it=win/win situation for both of us.

Later that evening, we got home and the kids gave Jared their homemade Father's Day book and he LOVED it.

Here's a few gems from their book:

I'm grateful because...

I'm grateful to have the most best and awesomest dad in the whole wide world ecause he plays Legos with Kaiya and I. We build humungo ships the size of our brains. I'm also grateful because he makes money for our family which gives me my allowence. Also he teaches me the gosple and scriptures. That's why I'm grateful. ---Carson

If Dad was...

If Dad were a princess he would be the Stepmother because she says, "Go clean your room!" ---Kaiya

12 comments:

Sarah said...

We're totally lame on Father's Day around our house, I need to do something better next year. Jared's breakfast sounded yummy - lucky guy. I love the kids little anecodtes about their dad. You guys rock.

Lisa said...

Love Kaiya's quote. Leave it to Kaiya to compare dad to princesses!

Kris said...

Lindsay, you totally did awesome this Father's Day. Love the fact that you went to a friend's house for dinner. That's the way to do it!

Kim said...

Yes, Jared is like a princess. You got that right, Kaiya.

Good job on Father's Day!

melanie said...

I don't want Milo to see this post, we were super lame around here this Father's Day (probably every other one too). Maybe next year, especially the don't have to cook dinner or dessert part!

Kids are so funny, I love the things they say.

AOlson said...

Kaiya's quote is CLASSIC!!! Love it!! Great job for Father's Day!! I was lame and ghetto just like every year;)

Heather said...

Way to deliver!

tharker said...

LOVE Kaiya's thoughts on her daddy! And who wouldn't want a dad that helps build ships as big as their brains? I totally would!! You rock, Jared!!!

Why is it that Father's Day is always so hard to come through for? We have the same problem around here. Spencer could do his own fashion show with the ties that we've given him over the years. Although, this year, I actually paid attention and picked up something that he had been wanting & also needing. Maybe next year, I'll do even better. The kids even put a little bit of thought and effort into their cards for dad this year. I think my favorite was Josh's. He wrote his in invisible ink, and Spencer had to use Josh's blacklight pen to read it. Loved it!

Brooklet said...

We are the mostest lame on father's day around here. I didn't even let Cody sleep in and I never ever know what to get him. I like the idea of the kids making a book. He would love that too!

PRP said...

I'm so impressed and those two snippets are priceless! I'm sure the rest is just as good!

Angie said...

love the cosby show reference!

jared is a rad dad, and I'm glad he got something really special this year...although now he's gonna expect it every year! agh. :)

Amy said...

If dad were a princess.... LOL!!!!!