Surprisingly, scouting has taken a big role in our family's lives. I know----what??? Let me elaborate....
Jared is currently the 11 year old scout leader for our ward. Now all of you that know Jared understand that scouting is not exactly his thing {and that is putting it very, very mildly}. Sure, the guy has many good qualities, but being a super scouter is not one of them. Remember that 80's Movie, Troop Beverly Hills? Yes, Jared is Shelly Long in this scenario. His idea of "roughing it" is going without high speed internet or if the DVR erases one of his shows.
Carson started cub scouts this year {remember the pine wood derby post?} and unlike Jared, thinks it is THE BEST THING EVER. But really, it's hardly surprising. I mean, c'mon....things that you have to do and check off and awards/badges to earn....the kid lives for this type of thing.
So every night he is begging to pass off new things in his scout book---front roll, back roll, a game of marbles, starting a collection, and etc. These are some of the more "normal" requests.
Sometimes we've had to "reign" him in, because in true Carson-like fashion, it can sometimes get out of control. For instance, he really wanted to pass off the first aid stuff, so the kid ripped off a scab which made his skin bleed, and "Oh, wow, Mom...now I can do first aid, clean my wound properly and dress it with a band aid!!!" Ummm.....yeah....completely crazy, I know. After getting the proper mom lecture about how we shouldn't hurt ourselves to pass off requirements {I'm thinking I may be the only mom who has had to talk to her kid about this. Anyhoo...}, he then replied, "That's fine. I won't do it again because now I passed that requirement off."
This has been my life for the past few months people!
The other night was no different. One of the requirements was learning proper phone etiquette. Now if you all know Carson, there are some things that come quite easy for him, but being super friendly and sociable ain't one of them. After telling him exactly what to do when answering the phone, he seemed to really get it, so we decided to have a few practice rounds.
Practice Phone Call #1:
Mom: "Ring Ring"
Carson: {Making heavy breathing sounds and nothing else.....}
Mom: "Carson!!!! Say hello!! Oh, let's try this again!"
Practice Phone Call #2:
Mom: "Ring Ring"
Carson: "What?"
Mom: "Carson, you are supposed to say Hello! Let's try again!"
Practice Phone Call #3:
Mom: "Ring Ring"
Carson: "Hello."
Mom: "Hi, is your Dad there?"
Carson: "No."
Mom: "Ugh, remember you aren't supposed to tell people that we aren't there. You are just supposed to say we can't come to the phone and to leave a message. Let's do it again."
Practice Phone Call #4:
Mom: "Ring Ring"
Carson: "Hello."
Mom: "Is your Dad there?"
Carson: "He can't come to the phone right now. Leave a message. Bye." {He then proceeds to hang up the phone.}
Mom: {In a completely exasperated voice, by the way} "Carson! When you tell someone to leave a message, you are supposed to actually listen to the message and write it down before you hang up!"
Can you believe we worked on that for half an hour? We ended up passing it off, but the sad part is, I have a sneaking suspicion that if someone were to call the house and he answered, they would be greeted with Phone Call Scenarios #1-4.
On tap very soon is making a wood project. You all know how well the derby car went, so wish us luck. It may be a very Rocky Road to making Wolf indeed.
19 comments:
That phone ettiquite practice session is hilarious!! I can't wait to call now!
I love how die hard Carson gets when he's interested in something. He's going to be an Eagle Scout before he's 12!!
It's all SO Carson. I love it!! He is seriously one of my favorite kids ever.
I'm really tempted to call your house right now. . .
I loved this post, it was so funny! I was cracking up on the phone call practice!
that kid amazes me all the time. so funny.
Carson ROCKS!! How funny! Jacob wrote a story about Carson today as part of his homework. How cute is that!!
Ahhh scouting fun times, I can't wait.
That's pretty funny about the phone. My parents used to force me to answer the phone and order pizza to get me over the fear of thinking on my feet.
Since I didn't have brothers my age I didn't realize much work scouting is! I guess it poses the question, which is worse? Being hounded to finish a merit badge or hounding the boy to finish a merit badge? :) They both sound exhausting!
I can see that scouting is going to provide lots of entertaining blogging for us all. I can't wait! Okay - I hate to admit this but now I know it is true... I have a bit of Monica Geller in me! I love things clean and organized (though it's hard to tell from the state of my house these days.) My heart started racing as I read about your latest cleaning and organizing efforts. I pictured it all in my mind and I just knew how happy it must have made you and what a sense of satisfaction. I was feeling all of that vicariously. That's not weird is it?
I freakin' love it! I don't think my kids would be any better on the phone thing. For the life of me, I can't get Spence to say anything other than "who is this?" when he answers the phone. Nice.
Practice makes perfect, right?
What about that scab ripping scenario? That's psycho!
Scouting is totally up Carson's alley! I think it is funny that Jared has a son that is a super scout! I loved the phone conversations.
This is to funny! Maybe I should try practicing with my kids they always just want to know who it is, in a not so nice way :)
How fun! Those phone conversations are hilarious. Kyle's the scout leader for the 11 year old's in our ward too! He's not super scouty, but he has an "assistant" who rocks, so it makes things easier for him.
This is really funny! My favorite was, "my dad can't come to phone, leave a message.....click!" That was hilarious. Isn't working on all of this stuff so much fun???
Oh, man. That is hilarious.
How funny!!! I love it especially the phone ettiquite session!
It's funny to teach kids to do all of the things we take for granted like talking on the phone. I love the way you guys tell these stories!
If he passes them all off, he'll be done and you won't have to do them anymore!
Post a Comment