This last weekend Nicole and I had the opportunity to sell our hair accessories at a local bazaar. I've never participated in a bazaar before and it was quite the interesting experience. We had fun, sold lots of our hair accessories, and Chloe was the star of the show. There was a big 8x10 of her on the table, with all of her chubby cheek goodness. The most interesting part of the bazaar by far though, was the people. In fact, it's all the various dealings with people that inspired me to write...
My Top Five Memorable Holiday Bazaar Moments
1. Here were the 3 comments that really started to grate on my nerves: "I wish they had these when my girls were younger." "Sorry, no girls here, just boys." "Wow, you two are really clever. What a clever idea!" We were pretty successful in selling our stuff, but trust me, if I had a dollar for every time one of those lines were uttered, we would be rich.
2. Obviously most of the people who bought our hair accessories were mothers buying for their daughters or for some relative for Christmas. Imagine our surprise when a Dad came up, took a quick look, told his daughter to go get some money from the mom, and proceeded to buy our stuff. You could even tell the mom was surprised too, and probably wouldn't even have bought our stuff. It was cute.
3. A lady bought one of our headband sets with flowers for her little girl. She then proceeded to tell me that if her daughter didn't like the headbands on her head, she'd have her wear them as necklaces. Hmm....
4. These two ladies in their 50's came up to our table on Saturday morning and kind of proceeded to joke around about our stuff. One was saying to the other, "Oh, maybe we should buy some of this stuff and put it in our hair." Then they started totally laughing until they saw that one of the flowers was actually in Nicole's hair, and then they had a look on their faces which pretty much said, "Oops! I just stuck my foot in my mouth." Then they started walking away. As they left, I noticed on the back of one of the ladies' black jacket was a huge, BEDAZZLED HELLO KITTY! Seriously! Kind of ironic, huh! Yeah, I know that our hair accessories are for little girls, but the lady has a huge glitter kitty on her back, yet she's making fun of our hair accessories for being too juvenile! Can anyone else see the humor in that!
5. These two ladies {also in their 50's} came up to our table on Saturday to buy one of our baby headband sets and oohed and awed over Chloe's picture. Then one of them said to the other, "You should buy that for your granddaughter. She kind of looks like that baby." Then she went on to say, "Isn't your granddaughter like half Japanese or Chinese and then American." Oh, wow. I was speechless for a second. This lady's world is going to be rocked when she realizes that the non-white people in our country are American as well.
See what I mean! People are interesting.
21 comments:
Wow is right. People are just weird...and rude!
I kind of wish you could have snagged a picture with your phone of the lady's Hello Kitty jacket ;)
One of the flowers I bought for Hannah would have matched her dress for church perfectly. I was severely tempted to just give her gift to her early! Needless to say, I can't wait for her to open it Christmas morning!!
You guys did a great job!
That was a classic summary of our weekend, but I can't believe you didn't mention my personal favorite?
Oh, I guess you don't want people to know that you told a teenage girl to go get herself a baby. In your defense, it was pretty late Saturday afternoon, and we were all pretty tired. Yea, I guess I wouldn't have listed that one either.
In any case, thanks for reminding me of all the other fun comments that were made.
We sure are clever girls;)
Okay, you know we were all joking at that time and it totally came out all wrong and everyone ran with it!
I can only imagine how you guys laughed at most of those comments and were a little astonished at the others. LOL, thanks for making me laugh.
Sounds like work, fun and good people watching all at the same time! I love it. Do it again and tell me more...
I thought about the bazaar this morning and was going to ask you how it went. Great recap!! I can just picture you guys sitting there dying about the jacket.
Do you think some of those headbands would look good on me? I love places where there are tons of people, kuz you can just sit back and watch and in places like that there are plenty of people to make fun of.
THere is a little bit of everything at the bazaar. I am glad that you guys were successful. Maybe you will get into the gym next year :)
I love the ladys and the hello kitty thing. That is so hilarous I can't stop laughing. I almost miss working in retail for all the stupid things people say and do!
Sounds like an interesting weekend, indeed. Glad you had some fun and made some moola!
Nice people. Real nice.
Love it! Your booth was one of my favorites...people are sure funny!
People say the darnest things!! Too bad they don't think first!
the hello kitty lady who didn't want to wear flowers in her hair is my favorite. Did you really go tell a teenage girl to go get herself a baby? Hm . . . there's a Stake Public Affairs project :)
non-white people here are also american? WHAT!
I'm so bummed I missed it! I'm glad things went well and you were so successful...that was a TON of work.
Thanks for clearing up that whole ethnicity vs citizenship thing. I've bee confused for ages....
Man!!! There is no shortage of stupidity in the world! Luckily it's funny to most of us!
It was fun to see you that night. I gave Sydnee her stuff on Sunday morning, cuz I couldn't wait. She was so excited when she saw that Kendle had the exact headband and flower on at church too. It was funny! Glad you had a fun time and love your summary. Nicole's comment is hilarious and I can see you saying something like that. That's just awesome!
That is sooo fuuny about the Hello Kitty lady!
It was fun to see you girls on Friday night. I am glad that the weekend went well for you.
Oh. My. Goodness. People are AMAZING. I can't believe the stuff that comes out of people's mouths.
How about my annoying comment asking if you guys are going to make some snap-on bows? Ha, ha. Inquiring minds.....It was great to see you guys in action that night and it looks like your table was staying busy.
Post a Comment