13 June, 2008

Sewing For Dummies

A few weeks ago, the super talented Phyllis M. offered to give Nicole and I a sewing lesson . Their ward had made aprons for their Enrichment Night. Nicole didn't have an opportunity to make her own that night so Phyllis said she would show her the following day. I was the total tag-along friend, but hey, I really wanted to learn how.

It was really so nice of Phyllis to teach us how to make these aprons. When it comes to sewing {or anything else that is new and foreign to me}, it really requires a lot of patience on the part of the teacher. I'll admit, sometimes I can be downright annoying. It's the whole perfectionist quality in me. I want it to be perfect, yet most of the time when one learns something new, it rarely is perfect. Anyways, not only did she lend me some better material for my brown apron, but she dealt with my slowness {because sometimes I think if I do it at a slower pace it will turn out better. }, lack of sewing skills, and my fussy baby. Apparently Chloe didn't get the memo that she'd have to miss her nap time so Mommy could make an apron. She was none too happy about that one.

Last night, in an effort to have something fun to focus on, I decided to try to make another apron ALL ON MY OWN. It actually turned out! I know, can you believe it! Sure, the apron required very elementary sewing skills that like an 8 year old could do, but I was so proud of it nonetheless. You'd think I had cured the common cold or something. Then, because of the dorky girl I am, I decided to make one for Kaiya, so we could be matching mom/daughter cooks in the kitchen.

This is how they turned out:

The ties on the apron are quite long, so you can either tie them in the back or tie them in the front. Mine are so long it looks like I'm wearing a stylish belt or something.

Kaiya was so excited to have an apron of her own that matched mine. Here's a picture of Kaiya wearing hers:


Anyways, they were fun to make. I'm hardly what you would call a "seamstress," but I actually did something homemaker-ish. Look at me, I'm growing!

19 comments:

Debie Spurgeon said...

Fantastic job Lindsay, and I love the little matching one too.
I'm not a seamstress, but I can fake my way through simple projects.
Keep sewing.

Kim said...

Good job, Linds! Those are really cute. Someday maybe I'll actually break out the ol' sewing machine and give it a try. Kaiya looks so cute and proud in her apron.

Lisa Christine said...

They are gorgeous!I love the colors and the fabrics.
It's funny, because I actually told Donald this evening that I need an apron. Maybe I should commission you to make one for me....

Brenda said...

Too Cute! You did a great job!

PRP said...

They are adorable! I wish I had gotten in on that class cause I can't sew a thing!

Great job!

Piper said...

Good for you Lindsay! They look great! Cute fabric too.

Sarah said...

Those are seriously some stylish, cute aprons Lindsay. Great job! I would never be able to tell you haven't been sewing for years. I bet Kaiya thinks she has the best mom ever!

Sara said...

I love the apron. The matching mom and daughter ones are "sew" sweet.

tharker said...

They both turned out so cute! Now I need to have a sewing lesson in apron making from you!

Erin said...

linds, those are so cute!! taking up sewing, eh?! that is good...i have always wanted to learn as well.

Samantha said...

Oh I love them! I wish you would put a picture up of the TWO of you wearing them, side by side.

Heather said...

I have wanted to make me and Brynns matching aprons for a while... maybe I'll borrow your pattern. It's great.

hatch said...

Those are sooo cute! I have never been able to sew. I mean seriously it makes me cry, but seeing these makes me want to try. I am proud of you!

Nicole said...

WOW! Linds! They turned out so cute! But, I think you left out the best part;)

mumovearls said...

oh Lindsay you crack me up! you to can be creative... ok you can't be the "queen of creativeness" because that's my crown! just joking...
I love the colors you used and I'm so proud of the one you made by your self it looks so good!
ps when are you going to be in town I have a bunch of cloths for you-n

Alicia Leppert said...

Lindsay, you never fail to amaze me. Every time you make something for the first time it turns out adorable. That picture of Kaiya in hers is soooo cute!!

Angie said...

look at you!! i'm very impressed...next you'll be sewing matching outfits for you and the girls.

Lisa said...

They are so cute! Now I need to be the tag along friend so you can teach me!

Brooklet said...

I love that you and kaia have matching ones, so cute. Great job on the sewing!