I need help.
Jared and I have decided that we {meaning me} need to finally start putting together 72 hour kits and getting food storage for our family. I know, we've been married for 8 years, have 3 kids, we should have done this by now, or at least started. Don't judge me, people! Thus far, our emergency plan {when a need for food storage or 72 hour kits would arise} has consisted of getting to ML and throwing ourselves at the mercy of a kind family member or if we can't get to ML, throwing ourselves at the mercy of friends or nice ward members. See---not a very good plan.
I just started researching both and got completely overwhelmed. I need a crash course in emergency preparedness for dummies.
Here are some of my questions that I'm hoping some of you will answer for me:
What do you store your 72 hour kits in and why? Apparently there are a variety of methods, from garbage cans, rubbermaid bins, suitcases, duffel bags, backpacks, sweatshirts, etc. Some shout the praises for the bins/cans and there is a huge list of stuff so it would easily fit in those. Other sources state that you need to be able to carry all of it in case of evacuation, therefore needing backpacks, but again--it's a huge list of stuff so how do you fit it all in? What do you think is the best method?
How do you store your water? Do you buy bottled water, or do you fill up the empty pop liters and purify the water yourself? Did you buy a water purifier? What's your opinion on the easiest method, especially for someone like me who is starting out?
What in the world do you do with wheat {or some of the other basics}? I know it seems like the most idiotic question, but really...I don't know what to do with it. A lot of the basics that you can buy at the cannery so far would be lost on me. I always think, "Well sure I can buy it, but then it would just sit there. What am I going to do? Gnaw on wheat kernels?" So if any of you have good recipes pass them along!
I recognize these questions are probably completely retarded, but I need you all to humor me. Thanks!
13 comments:
Unfortunately I can be of no help to you becuase I feel the exact same way. Our plan is to get to Warden and throw ourselves at the mercy of Kevin's family!! I have all of the same exact questions and concerns that you do, so when you get some answers let me know!!
I'm no help in the 72 hour kit area, but I will say that unless you have a wheat grinder at your disposal, then your wheat will do you no good. I would offer to let you use mine anytime you want, except that Jake decided to use in as a slot machine and shoved pennies and fruit snacks inside of it. Once I get it fixed, then you are welcome to come grind wheat anytime. The great thing about wheat is that you can store it forever as long as you haven't ground it. So you only grind what you need, and once that's getting low, then you grind up some more.
Yeah, our emergency plan sounds frighteningly like your's!
We use backpacks for 72 hr kits... they are super basic but JEremy and i keep meaning to add, but we haven't yet.
on the church website they have great ideas for storing, also I found out that you can purchase the kits already made...
http://saratogatradingcompany.com/72_hour_kits.html?sid=adll0001
kind of expensive but at least you can get ideas on how to do things... that's my plan at least... some day i'll get that done... I yet have to start our own... scary!!!!! Good luck!
yeah, sorry I can't offer you anything except for moral support, and that isn't gonna do you any good in an emergency!!
Lindsay, these are not stupid questions at all. The very fact that you are actually doing something about it is more than the rest of us can say. I've done little things here and there throughout our marriage but have never done everything that needs to be done. For Christmas, my parents gave all us kids the best gift...72 hour kits in Rubbermaid tubs (they're water proof, tough, easy to carry, big) including a list of what to add to it and what to keep in it. Call me. My mom is the pro at emergency preparedness and food storage.
Also-I don't have a wheat grinder, my blender works. I'm not a huge wheat fan (love me some white flour) but my mom's recipe for whole wheat pancakes are to DIE FOR and super easy...and they use up your wheat storage!!
I second Alicia's tip on the Whole Wheat pancakes that are made in the blender. They are super easy to make, and are oh so yummy!
Definitely not stupid questions. I have not excelled at food storage or emergency preparedness. At all. I have only just begun to even think about it, so I need ideas too.
I have a ton of wheat, and those pancakes sound so so so delicious. Alicia, would you share the recipe with us all? Please?
Linds, you rock. Knowing that you need to do it is better than me, who just thinks about it occasionally! And you've started a great discussion here. I'm sure we'll all get a ton of ideas so thanks!
So glad you brought this up today because I need to get on the emergency preperation band wagon myself. Having a baby in the home makes having water on hand a big deal, and that is something we need to store more of. A week or so ago the power went out at night, and I thought to myself, if it is not on in the morning I will have to go buy some water! Yikes, that's a rude awakening. A lady that used to be my visiting teacher told me that every night before bed she made sure that her children had a coat hanging near their bed and shoes at the end of their bed in case there was a fire, or any emergency where they had to run out of the house quickly. I've always thought that was a good idea.
We have an emergency kit in a backpack. Jack makes me take it every time I go to ID/UT to visit my family. He's got a ton of ideas, and has pretty much been in charge of ours! It's nice to know someone in our house is ready to be prepared. Cuz I'm not. This is a great discussion! Good idea, Lindsay to help us all get motivated to start our own! Thanks!
Wow, I'm glad you posted this! I'm in the same boat as you with the same questions! It sounds like I'll have to check out Alicia's 72 hr kits for some ideas...
Lindsay these are ALL the same questions I have! I wish people had more answers- it looks like most of us need help in this area.
Post a Comment