05 February, 2010

Pinewood Derby '10

Yet another Derby that has come and gone.

We had the Pinewood Derby Tuesday evening. Carson was pumped to go. He and Jared worked a bit on Saturday and then furiously the night before to get the car done. He made his own design, picked out the paint color, and pretty much did everything on the car himself, except for sawing the wood. He was so proud and declared that he might get "Coolest Car" again.

Here's my Cub Scout ready to race:


Putting his car on the ramp:

Yea! It actually won!


Carson was so excited about his performance at the races this year. Last year he'd only won like 1 race out of the gazillion that take place at the Derby. This year he won a few more than that so he was ecstatic! It was really cute to watch.

I'll admit, as a parent, you are hopeful that your kid, along with all the kids, win a race or two, just so they'll come home having at least 1 win under their belt and feeling good about the evening. Jared and I were able to breathe a big sigh of relief that Carson was "all smiles" during the evening and having a blast with his fellow cub scouts.

He came home with "Best Gold Car" Award and he declared it was even better than "Coolest Car" from last year. Gotta love that.

Here's Jared and I killing time at the races:


Chloe-Bo with her funny face:


So I just had to take a picture of this. This was the funniest part of the evening, in my opinion. Carson always has his pants pulled up so high that they are practically in his armpits. Then he manages to cinch his belt so tight it's like he's wearing a corset. I mean, he get's his waist smaller than Barbie. If that weren't enough, THEN he has the pants totally stuffed into his butt crack. This picture is dark and it's far away so you can't even see half the amount of crack-age that's normally showing. Now some of you moms may think this a tad inappropriate, but come on. I so need proof of this, so when he's like my age and doesn't believe me and thinks I'm exaggerating, I can totally pull out the money shot.


And here's Kaiya with all the other kids eatin' rootbeer floats.

All in all, it was a great evening.

Best news of all, in Jared's opinion....2 races down, only 1 more to go next year. Phew!

4 comments:

tharker said...

Love jeans, Carson style! I'm so glad you took a picture! In a few years, you and Karen can pull those out before Carson and Spencer take their first dates out to Prom ;)

It looks like he did a great job on his car. I'm impressed with how much of the work he did himself.

melanie said...

So jealous you only have one more race to go! I'm not even counting cause it's 8 or something like that. Depressing! Halfway through Nate won a race so that kept him going until he won the last race of the night. Just enough to be smiles and all the other 3rd places forgotten. Whew.

Love your scarf!

Sara said...

I love the cute shots you got.

Kim said...

Congratulations, Carson! Your car looked awesome.

I always love to hear the Pinewood Derby stories. I can imagine what working on a car with Jared and Carson would be like. Well, Jared would be more of a problem!