30 December, 2009

Nine

HAPPY BIRTHDAY CARSON!


THEN...

AND NOW...


Dear Carson,

I can't believe that it was nine years ago when I first held you in my arms. You have been such an immense joy and blessing to our family. You constantly amaze me. Not only are you a wonderful son, but such a great brother, nephew, grandson, and friend. I love how you are so sweet to Chloe and include Kaiya in the things you do. I know they can both tag along and bug you at times, but you look after them. You take care of those people you love.

I love your fierce determination, strong will, passion for learning, and desire to do what is right. Sometimes your dad and I joke around about your "old man's soul". We LOVE it. It's one of the many things that makes you "YOU"! How I've loved watching you grow up and seeing all of your many different interests, whether it be memorizing that bug dictionary, obsessing over the states and Presidents, collecting coins and stamps, or building your zillionth lego ship. I mean come on, how many people could say that at 5 years old, their favorite show was "Storm Stories" on the Weather Channel? Or really how many kids had a tsunami obsession? Your dad and I cracked huge smiles when we went to the beach in Sept. and the first thing you wanted to do, even before building sandcastles, getting in the water, or snacking on all the treats, was go metal detecting with Gary!

You currently are flourishing at school and your extra-curricular activities. You tend to be competitive by nature, but I've really noticed that this year you are learning that you don't have to be THE BEST, you just need to do YOUR BEST. It's been a great lesson to learn, and I love how you are finally trying out some new things.

Oh, and let's not forget how funny you are! While it's true that you are entering that "Goobie Boy" stage, you still crack funnies all the time. In fact, sometimes you remind me so much of your dad that I think that we may have another "mini-me Jared" on our hands. Can I even handle that?! {See, this is where Jared would interject with something like, "Can you even handle that much awesomeness?!...Don't be hatin' yo!"}

In short, I'm so proud of you and the young man you are becoming. I don't know what I'd do without my sweet first-born.

I love you, Carson J.

Love, Mom

7 comments:

tharker said...

I loved reading this letter so much. If a person who didn't know Carson read this, they would get a spot on description of what a wonderful boy he is.

I love that you posted a then and now picture. What a gorgeous kid Carson is! And those chubby little baby arms...so cute!

We love Carson and hope that he has had a fantastic birthday!

Angie said...

NINE YEARS OLD!! That is freakin crazy. I remember when that first picture was taken...wow.
Carson is so awesome. I just love him. He is not only a great older brother but a great older cousin too. Q just loves him, and he treats her so good. Good job raising that boy.

Kim said...

I have thoroughly enjoyed Carson over these past nine years. He has brought lots of smiles and laughter to our lives. He really is a special kid, and a pretty cool one too.

Lisa said...

Happy Birthday, Carson!

Amy J. said...

I hope is day was extra special! I too love the then and now photos, it just goes to show that the time has just gone by too fast hasn't it!

auntiescary said...

Happy Birthday Carson - albeit a LOT late! You really are an amazing guy!

hey Linds- miss you - what's going on?

Amy said...

Carson's baby picture is so. stinkin. cute!!!