01 July, 2009

Quick Update

Nothing really new going on around here. We've gotten into our "summer groove" and are busy, busy, busy everyday. It's amazing how fast summer can fly.

Here's some of the happenings at our house:

1. Carson and Kaiya decided to go for a joy ride in laundry baskets down the stairs. Kaiya fared okay, but Carson, on the other hand, landed on his face and chipped his permanent tooth on the tile floor. Broken permanent tooth on 8 year old = one unhinged mama! Thanks to a trip to Dr. Rob, Carson's tooth is back to normal and he no longer looks like a carnie. According to Carson, the trip in the laundry basket was, "Totally worth it." Well, glad he thought so because that better be the last time he does that.

2. We started swim lessons for Kaiya and swim team for Carson at the beginning of last week. Our everyday routine includes watching the lessons, eating lunch in the park, playing on the toys and then going home. It's so nice to know that by the time we've gotten home, they were able to get some swim time, my house isn't all messy from lunch, and they were able to socialize with friends while getting exercise playing. The only downside to all of this {because I'm a complete germaphobe}, is having to take Kaiya to the sicknast public bathrooms because she has to go like everyday. Not only do I purell both our hands but I almost want to purell the bottom of my shoes it's so sick in there.

3. My garden isn't doing so hot. Apparently I'm a total gardening fail because everything's starting to die. I'm so frustrated. If anyone is a greenthumb, please come over to my house ASAP and help.

4. I finally got a membership to the gym a week and a half ago. I haven't had a gym membership in almost 10 years. Even more pathetic is the fact that I hadn't worked out in about 2 years. I know. Yikes. And totally embarrassing. Back in my teen years, I never thought I'd be one of those people who never worked out and wasn't active, but it's just another example of "never say never" because here I am in the worst shape of my life. Oh, well. Anyhoo, I got a membership, I've been going to classes and it's been fun. I'm also completely sore as can be. I seriously walk around like a grandma these days because I'm sore everywhere. It's a really good feeling though. It's also amazing how much energy I have and how much better I feel already.

5. My goal this summer is to finally learn how to sew. I know next to nothing about sewing. In the past, I've had people show me things, but then I never would practice or even attempt to do anything on my own, and so I never got proficient at it. Thanks to this girl, I'm actually going to attempt to make something!

6. We've been working in our yard. I know, doesn't sound like a big deal...but hey, people...this is big for us because we aren't yardies. If it's a choice between working in the yard or having fun, Jared and I will choose having fun any day of the week. We are getting rock for our front yard tomorrow so that should be good. Oh, and we did some more of our fence. Yea for us!

I guess that all that's going on in our neck of the woods....

9 comments:

Chelsea said...

I chipped my front tooth when I was 8 or 9, and belive it or not, it's never fallen out. Hope Carson has the same luck.

Shayla said...

I'm assuming you're talking about the nasty rest rooms at Memorial Pool. We had to use them for the first time this week and I was having a hard time keeping from retching. Seriously, so gross. Natalie couldn't even go, she was so grossed out. I think I'd rather have my kids squat behind a bush.

Kris said...

I just did a post about my summertime stuff too and mentioned the public bathrooms. I even said that you have a few experiences of your own. How funny. Love the comment about using purell on the bottom of your shoes! It's fun hanging out with you so much this summer.

tharker said...

I'll make sure to keep an extra large bottle of Purell in my purse just for Kaiya ;) I haven't even been in those bathrooms yet this year, but just seeing your reaction the other day has convinced me that if I have to go, then I'll hold it, or hoof it over to the library!

Love that Carson has no problems with his chipped tooth, or how it came about ;) Boys!

Sorry about your garden. I'd offer to help, but you don't want my help...I can't keep any plants alive.

Sarah said...

This was fun to read about what you guys have been up to. Your yard is looking great - as far as the gardening goes I don't know that I have any good advice for you. Hopefully your plants will come around for you. Carson's tooth story is funny because that is such a boy thing to do something like that and say it was all worth it. :)

*He helped me out in primary on Sunday totally last minute by sharing some things he experienced at Cub Camp. I really appreciated it.

Kim said...

Thanks for the update! Yeah, that's exactly why I've never attempted the whole garden thing. Way to much work and stress! Hey, I'm learning how to sew as well. I'm almost done with my first quilt. Okay, it's nothing fancy...it's just for the humanitarian center...but it's more than I've ever done before. Kind of exciting.

Angie said...

when did this "tooth incident" happen cause I'm pretty sure when i talked to you a couple days ago you said that nothing exciting was going on.
oh carson!

Lisa Christine said...

I'm with you on eating lunch over at the pool. That's what we do too...because then I don't have to clean up all the crumbs :)

Amy said...

Yay I'm so excited! I have now made 2 of those bags and am ready to teach!