Yesterday was the first day of school 'round these parts---for Carson, at least. {Kaiya starts next week.} Carson is now a Third Grader! He was a bit anxious and nervous since he is attending a new elementary school this year. Luckily, he was also really excited since he has a bunch of friends who will be in his new classroom.
Of course, he set his alarm for 6 AM because he didn't want to be late for school. I insisted he wouldn't be late, but since apparently I am the Queen of Lateness in his eyes, he didn't believe me. When he was ready by 6:30 AM {after all, it doesn't take an 8 yr old boy that long to get ready. What do they have to do?}, he started bugging me about when he could go to the bus stop. The bus stop situation is new too. It's the first year he gets to do that.
I finally let him go to the bus stop at 7:50, since we were told the bus would come at exactly 8:12. Carson has finally reached that point in boyhood where mom around isn't as cool as it used to be--mostly because he's extremely independent and wants to do things himself. He insisted on going to the bus stop alone, and that I could watch from the house. Fine, whatever. I did tell him though, that I was going to follow the bus in my van and meet him at our school to make sure he was able to catch his transfer bus okay, and make it to his class. {He has to ride a bus to our neighborhood school and then get on a transfer bus which takes him to his new class, which is housed at a different elementary school.}
The bus got there totally early. I met Carson at the school and then we had to wait like another 15 minutes for his transfer bus. I then followed him to his new school. I knew he was freaking out inside because they were totally late. Once I got to his new school, his bus was so late {School had started about 10 minutes earlier} that they were escorting the kids to their classes. Then I left, knowing he was okay.
I had to include this picture because it's so Carson. He was totally getting annoyed because he wanted to get to the bus stop and I wanted to take another picture.
This was the closest he'd let me get to the bus stop to take a picture of him:
Here's a picture of Carson waiting for his transfer bus:
Carson and his good buddy Tyler:
Okay, so this random worker at the school jumped into our picture taking and asked to be in the picture. Fine, lady. Then you're going on the blog! {You can even tell Carson is like, "Who are you, lady?}
Oh, here's a little funny:
I told Carson that maybe I'd put a love note in his lunchbox this year. You know, the standard-Mom note that says, "I love you! You have a good first day!" He then, to his credit, {since he's not always the most sensitive kid}, said, "I know, Mom! Why don't you put a nice note on my pillow instead and then I can have a sweet note when I go to bed at night!" Uh-huh.
In the afternoon Chloe was sleeping, so I didn't go back to the school to follow the buses. After all, I was assured by the bus workers that they've been doing this for years and to not worry, my kid would get where he needed to go safely. Well, sure enough, I didn't go and apparently Carson's neighborhood bus didn't wait for the transfer bus kids and Carson and a few others were stranded at the school. A big thanks goes to the fabulous Kristen, since she picked Carson up and took him home with Tyler.
The most important thing though, is that Carson came through the door with a big smile. He had a wonderful day. He said his teachers were soooo nice. He loves his new class. He had a good game of 4-square at recess. He played with a bunch of friends. And then he said, "I'm going to like it there. It's going to be a good year."
Yea! We are off to a great start!
9 comments:
Okay, so Jacob walk in the door yesterday and I asked him how his day was. His excat response without skipping a beat, "Carson and I DOMINATED at 4-square!" That was it, nothing else.
It seems like it always takes a while for the bus people to get all of the kinks worked out. It can be quite the fiasco. That is awesome Carson had such a good day and will be with lots of friends this year.
That's great he came home so happy, considering all the lateness and bus missing drama! That's funny what Amy put in her blog about dominating at 4-square, they must have done really good!
so glad carson had a great first day! so funny how independent he is...sounds exactly like his dad.
Okay, what's with the weird lady jumping in the picture? So strange...I love the look on Carson's face ;)
I'm so glad that he had a great first day. I hope the bus craziness isn't repeated this afternoon.
Maybe some of that early morning ambition can rub off on his classmate who sits next to him :)
I am laughing out loud Lindsay. That lady in the photo was so funny. And of course, you write it so perfectly. You were at least nice enough to take her picture. I just pretended to! So funny! I'm glad that he had a good day. Tyler only said, "Good" when I asked how his day was. No details. Maybe I'll get more today. Ok, well maybe not, but I can hope! :)
I'm so glad he liked it! A new school can be a bit scary so the fact that he came home with a smile on his face is a great thing!
Isn't it sad how quickly boys are anti-note in the lunch...bummer. :)
It will be so fun seeing your sweet family around Livingston this year!
Post a Comment